Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeating AppleFileServer: _Assert: ... FPCarbonVol.cpp errors in Console.

Hi all,

This has been reported a few times in the past but with no real answers that I can find.

Every 10 seconds in console I'm getting these errors:

AppleFileServer[641]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

Can anyone explain to me what this means?

We have a problem with our server randomly dropping clients and I'm trying to figure out if this _Assert malarky is related.

Thank you for any help.

Hardware spec:

2x Quad core Xeons

6gb ram

Supermicro motherboard

Supermicro 4 port nic in LACP. Using AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

RocketRaid 16 channel SAS controller

~30tb shared storage

Software spec:

Plain 10.9.2

only SMB, AFP, and Screen Sharing (which is also broken).

CrushFTP for FTP, WebDAV and HTTP server.

ChronoSync for schedules backups to NAS.

User uploaded file

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 4:14 AM

18 replies

Jan 22, 2017 10:57 AM in response to barneym

Hello everyone,

I may have stumbled on a fix.

I had a client call with this same issue. So I did the same quick fixes; turned off file sharing, clear caches, restarted but the issue persisted. So I rebooted again with sharing off and suddenly got tons os XPCService log errors as well. So I dug into those... found a fix here for the XPCService errors...

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/xpcd-console-spam-every-minute.1738887/

But alas, as soon as I turned on file sharing the _Assert errors came back. It was then that the client mentioned having issues with Time Machine on her computer that is also backing up to this same system. Turns out that some how the SparseBundle in her Backups folder was "locked". As in the Finder flag somehow got flipped to locked. I unlocked it. Used Path Finder to edit the ACLs to give her read and write access again and suddenly the _Assert errors went away.

This may have been dumb luck, but if you have machines backing up to your AFP servers, check their ACLs and POSIX permissions. The (-35) error is somehow related to permission denied. In my clients case, the File Sharing pane in Server app showed her machine connected to the server 900+ times concurrently. That has also been resolved. So far....

Fingers crossed and good luck!!

Joe

Apr 16, 2014 2:48 PM in response to asmotiondesign

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Apr 16, 2014 3:22 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for the response.

It's a server in a busy creative studio so I'll have to investigate if safe mode still allows it to perform the minimum we need, as it needs to be in use.

In the mean time, I noticed that the errors totally stopped (as if my magic) at one particular time at the end of the day. This could have coincided with an AFP client shutting down on the network as people were going home at the end of the day. Could point to that machine. Will go through logs.

May 21, 2014 5:58 AM in response to asmotiondesign

ive got the same messages that are popping up in the logs as well. this is happening on multiple servers all 10.9 - and still with 10.9.3. i dont know if it is related to afp dropping out - as i do have issues that after a few weeks afp will become grumpy and it needs to be restarted. i have been looking for someon else with log entries like this and havent found much.

Jun 4, 2014 9:00 AM in response to asmotiondesign

I hate to make a "me too" post, but I think this error is probably a bug that's affecting a lot of users.

Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

We've been getting this error on our server even after a drive wipe, clean install of Mavericks, and update to OS X 10.9.3 and Server 3.1.2. It briefly went away after I deleted and re-added the shared volumes, but was back after a day. Only other software running on the server is Crashplan backup, and Filemaker Pro.

Hoping for a real fix.

Jun 6, 2014 7:18 PM in response to asmotiondesign

We're getting this issue too on 10.9.3. We're not using Server.app.

AppleFileServer[308]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

Repeating every 10 seconds. AFP performs poorly, and it even becomes laggy/unresponsive over Screen Sharing. I managed to get rid of it by removing the share, deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist, and setting it up again. The problem went away for a couple of days until I created a group in System Preferences>Users & Groups. That was the only change. Didn't even add the group to the share because the Sharing Only users don't show in the list. The problem returned immediately after that group was created.

So hard to find any useful info on this one.

Jun 16, 2014 3:46 AM in response to asmotiondesign

Same problem, OS10.9.3 desktop. Computer becomes unresponsive at all tasks, time machine slows to a crawl, less than 1mb per hour. This started with upgrade to mavericks and has not been resolved, apple please address this issue.

Console warns every 10 seconds.

Sample :

6/16/14 6:45:22.962 AM AppleFileServer[419]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

6/16/14 6:45:32.968 AM AppleFileServer[419]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

6/16/14 6:45:42.964 AM AppleFileServer[419]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

6/16/14 6:45:52.904 AM AppleFileServer[419]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

6/16/14 6:46:02.969 AM AppleFileServer[419]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

6/16/14 6:46:12.967 AM AppleFileServer[419]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

6/16/14 6:46:22.898 AM AppleFileServer[419]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

Aug 13, 2014 9:48 AM in response to stephen boyle

I noticed this morning that the same kind messages are now showing up in my system.log

I have been watching it intently as I rebuild my storage server as a MacMini.

Here is a sample of the log with no need to repeat the next line a million times.... It is periodic at about 30 second interval with 3 at each burst.

Aug 13 09:08:30 macmini.company.com AppleFileServer[886]: _Assert: /SourceCache/afpserver/afpserver-644.90.3/afpserver/FPCarbonVol.cpp, 71 (-35)

Aug 13 09:08:42 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Aug 13 09:08:42 macmini2.company.com AppleFileServer[886]: Logged out 0x7f7f89831400

The last one happens as a TimeMachine backup session completes and a machine drops the connection...

What seems to be the case is that these are related to TimeMachine AFP connections. I don't think they have a cooresponence to other traffic.

Here's my setup listed backwards because of a sense of layered is what I am trying to do...

Layered approach to Storage

Layer 7 - Monitoring Software - Datadog Agent ( web service ), OS X Server "native" monitoring, CLI - tails of this and that in this and that log.... and this and that cli commands iostat, top, lsof, netstat, etc...

Layer 6 - Application - SoftRAID and OWC WebGUI RAID Controller/Monitor - The SoftRAID certified volumes are then SoftRAID Mirrored to a Primary ( which is the Hardware RAID Pair ) and this Secondary SoftRAID mirror is a single hard disk which is mounted periodically as a backup of the primary hardware mirrored pair.

Layer 5.1 - SoftRAID kext ( Version 4.5.4 ) - ( SoftRAID 5 has not yet been installed here. )

Layer 5 - Mavericks (10.9.4) with OS X Server

Layer 4 - One meter Thunderbolt cable to MacMini

Layer 3 - OWC Helios with a OWC NewerTech 6G 4 Port eSATA RAID card with a 20 disk "limit" - Pairs of disks are formatted and initialized and mirror with this card and then certified by SoftRAID on top as a volume.

Layer 2 - in SansDigital 5 Bay PM ( Port Multiplier ) Enclosures connected eSATA to Card above.

Layer 1- Hard Disks - Mostly WD Black 1TB, and WD Reds 2TB ( as Mirrored Pairs see above)

Services:

DNS - Mirror Only

DHCP - To a small number of devices.

TimeMachine Server - 10-20 machines

AFP because of TimeMachine above

CrashPlan Server - 20-30 machines

Total Storage is a few TBs - Maximum of 14 Disks spinning when this setup is fully loaded. Normally only 10 disks with 5 LUNs

Oct 15, 2014 9:20 AM in response to Terry Fundak

I had also this problem, OS X 10.9.5.

One computer had Time Machine server and the console did show this message. The connection was slow and dropped regularly.

I bought an Apple Express and updated my wifi network from 802.11g to 802.11n. The messages disappeared and the network is now much more stable; allowing me to complete my Time Machine backups.

Seems my original wifi router was crap. So if somebody can't solve it from the software side, check your hardware. Crappy low cost routers can break your setup.

Oct 15, 2014 11:32 AM in response to iMichka

I noticed the same issue occurring on a mac mini, 10.9.5, Server 3.2.1, after I performed a SMC & PMU reset. Wifi isn't enabled on it - its wired. We have a relatively new $1200 cisco router which has been operating fine too. (I'm reluctant to believe its related to the router - our Cisco performs no dns or dhcp services, for example.) The only services running on this server are File Sharing, Time Machine, DNS (only as a forwarder to the true DNS domain server), and Open Directory.) The issue began blowing up the logs after the PMU reset. The mac mini was freezing sporadically prior to that, hence the PMU reset troubleshooting. I really wish Apple had a better structured knowledge base.

Repeating AppleFileServer: _Assert: ... FPCarbonVol.cpp errors in Console.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.