Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks upgrade is a slow go!

Has anyone been able to cure some of the real issuss that this upgrade has brought with it - including unresponsive mail, applications and interfaces, continually spinning wheels and having to force quit more times than I care to mention - answers on a postcard please!

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 3:58 AM

10 replies

Apr 16, 2014 4:02 AM in response to juli.d

Hi..

No problems with Mavericks here...

Have you checked the startup disk lately?

Launch Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utillities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If DU reports errors, restart your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys. From there you should be able to access the built in utilities in OS X Recovery to repair the startup disk.

Make sure to back up all important files first before using OS X Recovery.

OS X Recovery does require a broadband high speed internet connection.

OS X Mavericks: Reinstall OS X

Do you have anti virus software installed?

Apr 16, 2014 1:40 PM in response to juli.d

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Apr 17, 2014 4:34 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi there, I have managed to follow the instructions up to clear display and tried the action again - the ones I am having problems with are: In mail the issue is that I am having trouble deleting messages from the inbox for example - it is not lettting me delete them or is at least unresponsive and then does it about 10 seconds later by which time I have deleted more emails than I had hoped to!... Your help willl be gratly appreciated - although mail is just one of my problems since the update!

Thanks take care and speak soon

Juli

Apr 17, 2014 4:47 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi there Carolyn thanks for your help with this it is very much appreciated. I have run the diagnostic and it reports that there are no errors and that everything appears to be ok. Interestingly since the upgrade one of the problems that I have encountered as well as the go slow is that start up itself is so slow not instantaneous as before so presumably this would be the start up disk.

Again, the mail, itunes, imessage, word and bamboo are all opening at log in despite the fact that non of them are scheduled to do that - which of course doesnt help the start up process at all... your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for all your help so far... in terms of the virus software I confess that I dont have anything loaded onto the mac apart from the usual protocols that I can put in place, already set up on the system at purchase point - what would you recommend

Thanks again - Juli

Apr 17, 2014 8:04 AM in response to juli.d

You can save yourself a trip by doing everything the Apple "Geniuses" will do.

1. Run the Apple Hardware Test. It will show nothing wrong.

2. Reinstall OS X. There will probably be no change.

3. Back up your data, erase the startup volume in Recovery mode, and install the OS again. Test without restoring any of your data. If you can't reproduce the problem with the machine in that state, then it's solved, as far as the "Geniuses" are concerned.

When you restore your data from the backup, the problem may reappear. Go back to the Apple Store, and the cycle will be repeated.

If you expect an Apple "Genius" to help you solve a complicated configuration problem, which is what this is, you're going to be sorely disappointed. They're not allowed to do that, and they don't know how.

Mavericks upgrade is a slow go!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.