Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2013 iMac slow to boot to desktop

I am running a Late 2013 iMac (OS Mavericks 10.9.2). It has always been painfully slow to boot to desktop.

Suggestions anyone?

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 6:29 AM

3 replies

Jun 22, 2014 7:52 AM in response to pogonip

Hi , I bought the same late 2013 iMac with the same config like yours and I experienced its slow performance from day 1 and it cannot be resolved simply because my iMac is using a 1TB 5,400RPM conventional Hard Drive. Unfortunately it can't be replaced as the 21" model is manufactured in fixed config, unless you ask Apple to replace it with a 1TB Fusion drive or 128/256 SSD drive.

So I went off to buy an external 240GB SSD drive and I installed Marvericks in that SSD drive housed in a USB 3.0 case and connect it to the iMac as an external boot drive, and after that, my iMac is re-born with perfect performance, thanks to the fast speed of the SSD and the USB 3.0 connection.

You can consider doing this using even a lesser capacity SSD, like a 120GB SSD, which in Hong Kong it only cost HK$600 or less, which is US$75 or less.

This is a best option without going to Apple for help, and you can do it yourself

Hope it helps. And for any question, you can contact me at lks3197@gmail.com or lks31970602@me.com

Dec 19, 2014 3:48 PM in response to pogonip

Up on Yosemite here. Make sure you don't get caught in the simple trap I got hooked into. I installed a new SSD in an open bay in my 2011 iMac. Worked fine for 6 days, screaming to the desktop. Then on the 7th day it started taking about 1 min and 50 seconds for the Apple logo to appear, and only then did it resume screaming to the desktop in about 15 more seconds. I did all the usual - i.e. PRAM reset and checking the Sys Prefs Startup Disk selection etc. Also did repair of disk permissions - twice. Finally I remembered a tech once told me to pull all cables from the Mac, including the power cable for 30 seconds, then plug it back in with nothing else connected. Bingo - screaming start again. Shut down reconnected all cables and still OK. But one more thing, before I shut down and restarted, while I had a hard wire network connection, I noticed that the Wifi was turned on and hunting. Think that may have been a contributor. I noticed in my initial Yosemite configuration on the SSD I was asked which network I wanted to join. The only two options as I recall were my two Wifi connections - i.e. main router and hot spot, and unthinking I selected one of those, forgetting that I didn't need it. Not sure if the setup would have taken if I had omitted selecting one of those wifi connections or not. In any event I can't explain why it worked fine for 6 days and then, after an overnight shutdown, suddenly started being sluggisth - but bottom line here - be sure to pull all cables for 30 seconds before restarting.

Late 2013 iMac slow to boot to desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.