Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed connection when attempting to connect to Windows Vista PC from OS X Mavericks

I've recently carried out a system recovery of my Windows Vista notebook and now I can no longer connect to it from my iMac. I had no problems connecting before and I've checked all the relevant settings on the Vista PC under the network section, ie. network discovery is on, file sharing is on etc. I can access the iMac from the PC with no trouble and the notebook is showing up in Finder on the Mac - but when I try to connect, I get an error message as shown below. User uploaded file

Would really appreciate it if someone could throw some light on this issue for me. I have tried disabling the Windows Firewall and also creating other user accounts on the notebook, but none of these things make any difference. I have also tried connecting using the 'Finder' 'Go' 'Connect to Server...' option but this also doesn't work. I'm running Mavericks on the iMac.

Many thanks

Donna

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 5:44 AM

15 replies

Apr 16, 2014 7:11 AM in response to TheWrinklie

Not sure that you've tried it this way so

1. do you know the IP address of the win machine? If not, go start, run, cmd and type ipconfig. You're looking for four numbers separated by periods eg 192.168.3.4
  2. once you have that, do another connect to server in Finder but this way: smb://<IP address> (replace <IP address> with the real thing)
  3. if that doesn't work, try connect to server, cifs://<IP address>
  4. if 2 or 3 works, try replacing the IP address with the win machine's name again
  5. reply with results please

Apr 16, 2014 7:56 AM in response to SilverSkyRat

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions, however neither work for me. I still get the error message either way. It comes up after it has asked me how I want to access the computer (guest or registered user) and once I've entered the user name and password of the Windows PC, that's when it gives the message I showed above. Any further suggestions?

Many thanks for your help.

Donna

Apr 16, 2014 10:32 PM in response to TheWrinklie

Ok, next thing to do on the mac is open Console (in Applications > Utilities), note the current time and attempt to connect to the windows machine. when you get the error, switch back to Console, hopeful;y there aren't too many messages from the time you started the connection until you went back to Console; copy / paste the messages into a reply but if there are duplicates, please remove them before posting.

Apr 17, 2014 12:53 AM in response to SilverSkyRat

MAC

IP address: 192.168.1.64

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

default gateway: 192.168.1.254 (router ip, I presume?)

dns server: sorry, don't know where to look for this

PC

ip address: 192.168.1.71

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

default gateway: 192.168.1.254

dns server: as above

I can't help but think that this must be a Windows issue as it was working perfectly before I reinstalled Windows.

Thanks

Donna

Apr 17, 2014 5:21 AM in response to TheWrinklie

Ok, that all looks fine and I presume there's no problem with internet access and yes, 254 in your case would be the router. DNS server should also be set at 192.168.1.254, but that's not going to affect our current issue.

(For future reference, DNS setting can be seen this way (amongst others):

Mac: System Preferences > NetworkUser uploaded file

and Win Vista: Network & Sharing Center > View status > DetailsUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

But back to our problem... could you please verify a few things:

1. The setup of public folder sharing (Network & Sharing Center): set the middle option:User uploaded file

and password protected sharing off:User uploaded file

2. Please also turn off firewalls on both the Win and Mac machines

3. On the Mac, open Terminal (Applications > Utilities) and type ping -c 4 192.168.1.71

4. If that works, type ping -c 4 jdnotebook.local

5. If that works, use Finder to connect to server but this time use smb://jdnotebook.local (even though password protected sharing is off, you still might need to supply your registered user name and password (do verify those on your Win machine, and preferably supply an admin user account from the Win machine in the Finder "Connect As" box)

Correction to point 5: I still hadn't turned off password protected sharing on my vista machine so you should be fine in Finder to "Connect As" Guest 🙂

reply with results please

Message was edited by: SilverSkyRat: Correction

Apr 18, 2014 2:39 AM in response to SilverSkyRat

Hi there

Right - have worked through your steps and this was the result (copied from terminal):-

Last login: Fri Apr 11 14:15:28 on console

Donnas-iMac:~ DonnaPrice$ ping -c 4 192.168.1.71

PING 192.168.1.71 (192.168.1.71): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.1.71: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=7.889 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.71: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=5.439 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.71: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=5.325 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.71: icmp_seq=3 ttl=128 time=5.027 ms

--- 192.168.1.71 ping statistics ---

4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 5.027/5.920/7.889/1.147 ms

Donnas-iMac:~ DonnaPrice$ ping -c 4 jdnotebook.local

ping: cannot resolve jdnotebook.local: Unknown host

Donnas-iMac:~ DonnaPrice$

So it responded to the ping via the ip address but not the computer name. I tried to connect again via Finder with the same results as yesterday - both as registered user and guest.

Donna

Oct 26, 2014 12:05 PM in response to TheWrinklie

I have had a similar problem on occasions, although the Windows end was running 2003. My issue was caused by the clock on the Windows machine being wrong. Presumably, the Mac considers this some kind of security risk, but instead of giving any useful hints, it just refuses to connect.

Anyway, ensuring that the clock on the Windows machine is 'correct' fixes it. (I guess this also depends on the clock on the Mac being correct too!). In my case the Windows clock was wrong because a) it's old, and b) I had a power cut.

Although "TheWrinklie's" problem went away, I'm putting this in case it was the actual fix, and in case it's useful to anyone else.

Failed connection when attempting to connect to Windows Vista PC from OS X Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.