Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Library Slow and Massive - Keeps crashing

I recently updated to the newest version of FCPX 10.1. I keep all of my projects on one hard drive so when FCP converted everything into a library it lumped everything together. The problem is that whenever I open said library FCP becomes insanely slow. I obviously need to break this library into smaller libraries - but due to FCP timing out everytime I open it I am unable to do so. It doesnt seem like I can re-organize my projects and events on the finder level.

Has anyone else had this issue? Are there anyways to break things into different libraries outside of the FCP application? Are there any other things I should try?

Final Cut Pro X, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 7:01 AM

13 replies

Apr 16, 2014 7:19 AM in response to MC_Vid

Extremely large libraries can be troublesome.

Try this. Open FCP while holding down the option key. That will give you a dialog and an option to create a new library, That new library will have a single empty event,

Then, from the File menu choose Open Library and click on the big library. See whether you can drag and drop an event (not the Updated Projects event) into the new library. If you can, continue the process of moving events and specific, related projects.

You may want to create additional libraries, depending on what you have.

Good luck.

Russ

Apr 16, 2014 8:32 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ. Right now it is so slow when I open that library that I can't move things around. Even when I try to scroll through the list of events I get the spinny wheel and it freezes.

I was hoping there was a work around in finder but it seems like you have to organize things within FCP itself.

Apr 16, 2014 9:28 AM in response to MC_Vid

Going into the bundles does have a bit of risk to it. And regular backups, to state the obvious, are a very good idea,

Open two Finder windows and open up both libraries. To get inside a library, right click and Show Package Contents.

Drag an event folder to the new library.

User uploaded file

Open up FCP and see whether it works as it's supposed to with the event in the new library. Repeat the process or create some new libraries to spread things out further.

Russ

Apr 16, 2014 10:39 AM in response to MC_Vid

Apparently, the data base file, flexoibrary, expects some info from the events to be in the library and gets confused if it is missing.

I've been able to get the libraries to work by trashing and rebuilding their databases, but I'd prefer to offer (or have someone else offer) a different solution.

Russ

Apr 16, 2014 3:00 PM in response to MC_Vid

MC_Vid wrote:

I think I will attempt to upgrade to the new FCP in a little while when I am not in the middle of projects.

Sounds smart.

MC_Vid wrote:

Any tips for making a successful upgrade?

Keep libraries at a manageable size.😉

Seriously, I did a lot of reading and watching videos. Ended up by following Philip Hodgetts' Strategy with Event Manager. It's worked for me pretty well so far…and I'm a fan of the libraries – albeit still learning their gotchas.

There are many archived projects that I doubt I will ever update.

Best of luck.

Russ

New Library Slow and Massive - Keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.