Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV recognizes library but does not play movies or music. It shows thumbnail images and photo library but no video or audio. What could cause this?

Apple TV recognizes library but does not play movies or music. It shows thumbnail images and photo library but no video or audio. What could cause this?

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 7:30 AM

19 replies

Apr 16, 2014 8:20 AM in response to tschmid77

you get an error message or just doesn't play?

maybe the path to you library is broken or changed? Is you Library in the default location or on a remote drive somewhere?

go to iTunes on your computer... go to Setting > Advanced and see if the path to your iTunes directory is where you expect it to be? if it isn't change it back.

go to iTunes, right-click on a movies or song you know doesn't play and click on Get Info. If the path is changed iTunes might ask if you want to Locate file, say yes.. if you do this for 3-4 files iTunes asks if you want to check for all files.. say yes...

sometimes the path temporarily changes and goes back because of connectivity problems... so the act of pressing Get Info it actually fixes the path for that file.. so if Get Info doesn't yeild a Locate Dialog Window... try the file on AppleTV now...

Apr 16, 2014 10:05 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for the help. This is such a weird situation. I tried using air play out of the computer and that doesn't work either. But air play from an iPad or an iPhone works just fine. Also You Tube, and all the other streaming sources in Apple TV work just fine. So, at this point I think it's something in the computer. Truth be told, this is my father-in-law's system and I don't know what all he has going on there.

Jul 11, 2014 3:36 AM in response to tschmid77

I had the same problem and found that the Mac has sometimes a bad connexion with Apple servers.

Home sharing need an internet connexion to verify the status of devices (5 maximum).

This is not necessary for photo sharing, so you can access your iPhoto library without problem.

But videos and music need a check.

Jul 13, 2014 11:06 PM in response to tschmid77

I too have same issue. I can see all the photos and videos as thumbnails, but when I click on any of them it shows a "?". I have restarted itunes, windows and also ATV. None of these helped. I can play/stream songs without any issues. So it seems more like an issue with photos/videos. I can also play all the rented movies and movie trailers w/o any problem. So it's not an issue with my wireless.. ISP doesn't have anything to do with this as home-sharing uses your wireless network. So in short, ATV ***** when it comes to sharing the photos and videos. To be frank, I was never a fan of ATV as it is one of the crappiest product that Apple has ever made 🙂 I got it as a Christmas present and I am stuck with it 😟

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.