Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.5.1 not playing well with Time Machine

My HD crashed recently. I wasn't too worried; I had been backing up via Time Machine.

When I restored via Time Machine, everything was perfect except for my Aperture/iPhoto library. No photos from the past five months were included in the library for some reason. I trashed that iPhoto library, figuring there had been a simple error along the way, and re-pulled the archived iPhoto library over to my laptop manually. Those photos still were missing.

The size of the iPhoto library both in space (~250 GB) and number of photos listed in Aperture (~25k) are exactly as I expected. Still, there aren't really 25k photos there; it just thinks there are.

Does anyone have an idea how I can make this right?

Specs:

MBP (Late 2011)

OS 10.9.2

Aperture 3.5.1

PS: I'll use Aperture's "vault" workflow moving forward (in addition to Time Machine), but I thought Time Machine would take care of me. And it did -- for everything aside from a portion of my Aperture/iPhoto library.

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 7:54 AM

How did you restore the library? From the Time Machine Star wars display with "restore", or did you drag the library over using the Finder? A photo library needs to be restored. And after restoring I'd repair it, if photos are missing, see: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

The "repair" may take a very long time for a large library, so don't interrupt it. When it's finished, look for a "Recovered" project. Sometimes Aperture will collect orphaned images in a special projec.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2014 7:54 AM in response to Cordless Drill

How did you restore the library? From the Time Machine Star wars display with "restore", or did you drag the library over using the Finder? A photo library needs to be restored. And after restoring I'd repair it, if photos are missing, see: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

The "repair" may take a very long time for a large library, so don't interrupt it. When it's finished, look for a "Recovered" project. Sometimes Aperture will collect orphaned images in a special projec.

Apr 16, 2014 8:04 AM in response to Cordless Drill

When I restored via Time Machine, everything was perfect except for my Aperture/iPhoto library. No photos from the past five months were included in the library for some reason.

Were the projects, albums, folders , etc from the last 5 months also missing or were only the images missing?

And if it was only the images were the previews and/or thumbnails ok or were they missing also?

Apr 16, 2014 9:42 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

How: Upon the first launch of the laptop with its new HD, it asked if I wanted to restore via Time Machine. I clicked yes. The whole process probably took an hour. For some reason, the restore gave me 10.7, which is odd since I'd been using Mavericks and Snow Leopard before that. I upgraded to Mavericks via the App Store and I was set.

So ... upon initial inspection, after the Time Machine restore from scratch, I noticed that my Aperture library was missing the newest five months. I then deleted that library and manually dragged the archived library over to my "pictures" folder. After booting up Aperture, the library still was missing five months' worth of photos.

I then trashed that library and dragged over the second-newest archived version, thinking that perhaps the newest archive had some kind of issue. Same problem.

Apr 16, 2014 9:43 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

When I restored via Time Machine, everything was perfect except for my Aperture/iPhoto library. No photos from the past five months were included in the library for some reason.

Were the projects, albums, folders , etc from the last 5 months also missing or were only the images missing?

And if it was only the images were the previews and/or thumbnails ok or were they missing also?

I'm missing everything -- projects, albums, folders, thumbnails. It as if the pics simply weren't there.

Thanks to both of you for responding!

Apr 16, 2014 10:12 AM in response to Cordless Drill

While it is probably a good idea to go ahead with he library repair I don't think that will help in this case.

If the basic library structure for the past 5 months, the projects, albums, etc, were there and only the images were missing then we could assume that TM was running and backing up the library and some glitch has caused the images to go missing on the TM restore and doing a repair or other procedure could find them.

However given that nothing that was added to the library over the past 5 months is in the TM backup it would strongly suggest that the Aperture library has not been backed up for the last 5 months.

Are you positive that the library is not on a volume or in a folder that is in the TM exclusion list? Open TM System preferences and double check that.

One other thing you are saying your dragged the library from TM, do you mean instead of using TM restore you manually copied the library out? If so that could be contributing to the problem. Given the way TM works you really need to get files out of TM using the Restore feature, Copying from the TM drive will not work.

Apr 16, 2014 11:09 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

I'm missing everything -- projects, albums, folders, thumbnails. It as if the pics simply weren't there.

Thanks to both of you for responding!

Do you have TIme Machine always running in the background, or do you only occasionally connect the drive?

I only connect to the drive occasionally; maybe once per week. I use the pull-down menu for Time Machine and manually trigger a backup.

Apr 16, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Cordless Drill

OK. So here's the latest update: Good news!

Leonie's link did the trick. A bunch of "new" photos appeared!

Since I used an "old" backup instead of the newest one, though, I'll need to re-start this process from the beginning to get all my photos back. However, I know this system works and will resuscitate "lost" photographs. I'll check back when I get the correct library loaded and restored. Thanks so much, you two.

Apr 17, 2014 8:26 AM in response to Cordless Drill

Aperture has no built-in duplicate detector. You are supposed to avoid importing duplicates by checking the option "Do not import duplicates" when importing.

What kinds of duplicates do you have? Identical files, several times imported? Or separate edited versions of the same image, that are no longer paired as original and version pairs?

Old Toad has a nice list of alternatives to Duplicate Annihilator, see this link:

Re: eliminating iphoto duplicates

If duplicates are thumbnails and versions, then Duplicate Annihilator will be your best bet.

Aperture 3.5.1 not playing well with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.