Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Curiosity: How Long Will LED Lights In Mac Products Last If You Use it for 16 Hours a Day At Full Brightness? | Also How Come We Can Dim Mac LEDs?

Hi. An LED is realistically going to last at 30,000 hours some say but how long (assuming Apple uses more premium LEDs) will the LEDs used in the screen of Mac products inluding the iOS devices last if they are used at full brightness for 16 hours a days (8 hours to shut them off upon sleeping, ideally)? How many years would that be?

Also, how come we can dim the LED in the screen of Mac products yet the LED bulbs used in house socker and desk lamps can't be dimmed?

Thank you in advance. Happy holy week and advanced happy Easter. Rev. 21:4, Matt. 16:18, Cor. 13

God bless.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iMac Late 2009

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 7:44 AM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Alvin777

my imacs brightness auto adjust depending on the ligth in the room if this is not don by dimming the LEDs I'm not sure how

I'm not sure if you are asking us how many years 30000 hours devided into "days" of 16 hours would be in years it's a calucation you can do it on a calculator

and since the 30000 are based on Mean time to fail (MTTF) statistics you will not really be able to make a count down

Apr 16, 2014 8:24 AM in response to Alvin777

Also, how come we can dim the LED in the screen of Mac products yet the LED bulbs used in house socker and desk lamps can't be dimmed?

Actually, many of them can, but they have to be designed for the purpose. In that regard, LED lamps used for general room illumination have improved considerably in recent months, and their cost is dropping precipitously. Those stupid, dim, buzzing, hazardous CFLs are thankfully not long for this world.

For some reason the big box home improvement stores do not yet carry the best and cheapest examples, so I highly recommend you go to an electrical products distributor and find out what they have to offer. The ones I use are compatible with both conventional as well as electronic dimmers, which means you don't have to rewire your entire home to retrofit your existing incandescent lamps with their LED equivalents.

Happy Easter to you also.

Curiosity: How Long Will LED Lights In Mac Products Last If You Use it for 16 Hours a Day At Full Brightness? | Also How Come We Can Dim Mac LEDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.