Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone using data even when connected to wifi

There are 3 iphone 4s on my wireless plan. I am connected to wifi at home all the time and at work and use less than 2G of data a month. Same for my husband. But my daughter's phone the past 2 months has been showing attached to WIFI, but she is using 8G each month per my plan. When it happened the first month, i went thru her settings and turned off all that I could and made sure that she had her WIFI turned on and she still used 8G the next month. I called my wireless carrier and they stated that I had to contact Apple. What else can be done? We are not due for an upgrade until October this year.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 7:33 AM

5 replies

Apr 23, 2014 4:45 AM in response to sueherold

We are having the same problem. My husband normally uses about 100 mb of his 300 available. Our son 1gb of his available 3. Last month our son went over, and this month my husband is almost over. Our son is 26! He has a history of low usage. He works in a place that has wifi. He has wireless in his home. He is dumbfounded by the usage, as are we. His protest gained much weight after it happened to my husband, too. This is an Apple problem. Just read the forums out there...and nothing seems to help. Cellular is overriding Wifi - even when the wifi symbol is on. Reset your data counter and see for yourself! My daughter and I are not having this problem. Just the two on iphone 5s's. Daughter and I have 4's. I understand others with 4s's are starting to have this problem.

Come on Apple - you did a FIX for Verizon for this problem...we need one for AT&T!! I'm due a new phone in June - this may make Galaxy a nobrainer.

Jun 3, 2014 7:49 PM in response to sueherold

Also experiencing the same problem. My one daughter has a 4s and the other one has a 5. They have been going through data like crazy lately, while not using them any differently. Today my daughter was on the couch next to me, connected to our wifi looking at Tumblr and we got a notice that she hit her data limit. I looked ather phone as soon as I got the notification and she was connected to wifi! Why in the world if she is connected to wifi would she be using data?

Jul 23, 2014 6:02 AM in response to ceyanne12

This is in reply to all in the thread experiencing data use while on wifi. Data is used when on wifi for any pictures or videos sent via text, mms or imessage. Data is also used during group texts. None of this is told to you by your carrier or Apple. So if you are at home connected to your wifi and you are texting all day long in a group text, sending pictures/videos you took via text or imessage, you are using your data. What we do is get into a habit of turning off cellular when connected to a wifi so you do not accidentally use data, unless you need to. However, if you take a picture or video and send it vial mail like AOL, Yahoo mail or gmail, it will not use data if you are connected to a wifi. Hope this made sense and helps you all understand why you are using your data.

Dec 21, 2015 4:34 PM in response to sueherold

I'm hoping this may help address your issue: A recent upgrade to the iOS (I think it was 9, but I may be mistaken) included "Wi Fi Assist" to improve speed of up/downloading data (whether via cellular or WiFi networks). This means that your phone will use whichever it determines is the "better" network. So, if the phone decides that it can up/download data faster over your cellular network, then it'll switch from WiFi to that--even if you're at home in an area with what may be a reliable WiFi network. The result can be your phone using WAY more data than it has in the recent past.

A work around is a simple change in settings: Settings>Cellular>Wi-Fi Assist (it's at the VERY bottom). Turn this off. The default is for it to be on which will "Automatically use cellular data when Wi-Fi connectivity is poor". I did this and it has helped a LOT.

In addition, you may want to go through (under Cellular) and switch off some apps which you don't want using cellular data. Likewise, you can use settings to assure that apps which you may want to automatically update do so only when connected to a WiFi network.

iphone using data even when connected to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.