Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One of the partitioned hard drive failed

Hi,

One of the partitioned hard drive has crashed/damaged in my MacBook Pro. And it happened to be main OS X installed drive. But fortunately I have backup in my Time Capsule. So, I am not that much worried about my datas.

However, now I am wondering is it possible to use that portion of the hard drive again? By erasing the partition and re-partition it? Since other partition is working fine. So, any one who has better idea about hard drive, any advice/solution would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dikesh

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 3TB Time Capsule

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 8:19 AM

1 reply

Apr 16, 2014 12:27 PM in response to diekshjoshi

dieskshjoshi,

that depends upon the nature of the crash/damage to your hard drive.

If it was a physical crash, then the problem could be either on the disk itself or on the disk heads. If the disk was damaged, then you should not use that portion of the disk again, unless you’re not concerned about subsequent loss in that portion of the disk. If the disk heads were damaged, then it will only be a matter of time before your other partitions will be damaged, and you should replace the hard drive with another one.

If it was a “virtual” crash, such as a filesystem becoming corrupted, then you could erase that partition, reformat it, and restore its contents from your backup.

One of the partitioned hard drive failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.