Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't boot

Hi. I have a Retina MacBook Pro (13", early 2013), with OS X 10.9.2 and FileVault enabled.

This morning I woke my MacBook Pro and connected a hub with some hard drives. One of them was an encrypted Time Machine backup disk, and as usual a pop-up asked me for the password. However mouse and keyboard froze before I could type anything (the caps lock led didn't work too), while the computer was still operative. I had to force power it off by holding down the power button. I disconnected everything from the computer and pressed the power button. The computer powered on normally; I logged into my account before booting (since I have FileVault enabled) but then I got stuck on the Apple with the spinning wheel.

I rebooted many and many times. I can boot on other drives and even networks. I booted on the Recovery HD and repaired Macintosh HD and its permissions, but it didn't work. Now, after a lot of attempts, Recovery HD has disappeared and when I power the computer off leaving it connected to the mains I can hear a very soft clicking noise (like a clock) which disappears if I disconnect it from the mains.

Can you help me? Thank you

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 8:42 AM

1 reply

Apr 16, 2014 12:14 PM in response to Jaggions

Jaggions,

if your MacBook Pro had an internal hard drive, I would have guessed that that clicking meant that the hard drive had failed; but since your Retina model has a SSD, I’m not sure what that clicking sound could be. I’d recommend making an appointment at your nearest Apple store (or Apple-authorized service center) to have them diagnose the problem.

MacBook Pro won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.