Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scarry results in Memtest86 on my iMac

Hi guys

Im having some suspisions but maybe im just parranoid.

I was in the apple genius bar yesterday and after 15-20 check up they said everything seems to be ok. They didnt run deep diagnostic test and strongly suggested i dont need one. Today i did memtest86 v5.0.0 and got like 6k+ errors after 38min of testing.

Can you tell what the problem is - RAM, CPU, or something else or its normal and I should not be concerned?

BTW i done hardware test and got error message "4 mem / 9 / 4000......" which indicates to problem ram but again apple guys said this test is not very reliable and i shouldnt worry.

p.s. i have late 2012 imac where i have no access to RAM.

Also i have run Geekbench3 (only32-bit free version) with same results as other iMacs in my category.

Thnx for help!User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 9:56 AM

2 replies

May 7, 2014 12:25 AM in response to Kaylous

I assume you were getting the check up done in the genius bar as you already suspect there was something wrong with the machine?

The errors from MemTest86 look legitimate. The small number of bits that are in error and the errors being spread across a range of tests are indicative of a real RAM fault.

If you had access to the RAM I would suggest pulling out one of the sticks and testing with just 4GB of RAM in the machine at a time.

May 7, 2014 1:26 AM in response to Kaylous

If you have Apple care I would contact support direct and give them the details of the AHT, if they don't think it is a problem then give them the results of the Memtest86 error.

Memory errors may not initially show any problems in using the system but they can cause data corruption that only comes to light when you access the data sometime in the future.

If you are have intermittent problems with your computer, then obviously you need to tell Apple Care that information as well.

It is a long time since I used Memtest86 but I found its results reliable.

Good luck.

Scarry results in Memtest86 on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.