Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do i need final cut pro backups?

So I just installed OSX Mavericks along with updating to Final Cut X 10.1 and I must say initially it was a big change for me. Now that I know where everything is organized and how it works, I thought it was fine. Nothing major. However, the thing I absolutely hate is by combining everything up top into 1, I'm losing boatloads of memory storage. I clicked unto my storage and I'm down to uner 50 GB with storage of 1 TB. Audio is 106.51. Movies are 149.03. Photos are 28.57. Apps are 20.05. Other is 638.64 and seemingly doesn't stop. The question I have is how to create more storage space? I never dreamed the rendering of FCX would eat up so much space. It seems like it wants to make copies of copies of video files of which I don't really need. The question I have is do I really need Final Cut Pro Backups in my movies folder? I know I need old final cut pro projects and events as I'm currently working on something. I also have the 4 purple stars that says the size is 615.5 GB. Do I need this in addition to my old FCP projects and events as well as backups? This is ridiculous. If this is any sign of things to come, I am not liking this change whatsoever. Seems to me they make these swooping changes and fail to think things through. Or maybe they want you to buy new machines and purchase more memory.

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 9:26 AM

6 replies

Apr 16, 2014 9:40 AM in response to jeffhigbee

Not sure where to start – except to keep my paragraphs short.😀

Video work requires space – lots of it. pro editors and hobbyists invest $$$ in huge capacity RAIDS because it comes with the territory.

Since time is valuable we don't want to recreate projects because they become corrupt or because a drive fails (and they all do fail in time). Hence, people back up – the projects (events) and the media – in addition to regular systems backups.

This is not something that's unique to FCP X; it applies to video. And it's likely to get more space-intensive as formats continue to grow in size. Fortunately, storage costs have come down greatly.

Don't delete your backups. Do consider deleting project and event render files. And read up on archiving techniques.

Russ

Apr 16, 2014 9:43 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ. This is all cliche. I know video work takes up space. All I can say is before Mavericks OSX and before Final Cut 10.1, with Final Cut 10.09 I did not run into this hard drive eating system that Apple wants to go back to. I consider myself semi pro and I really don't need more than the storage I have because I do back up projects on my x hd. However this is eating up space at a rate that is not a good move by Apple.

Apr 16, 2014 10:09 AM in response to jeffhigbee

OK.

Backups shouldn't be very hefty. The files are mostly links. They contain versions of your projects at different points in the editing process.

No design reason why the library model should gobble up space any more than the old model. You still have the option of copying media your events – or not. Optimized can be trashed when – as it could before. I already mentioned renders.

Suggest you dig deeper into the 600 GB library to find out where your space has gone. And see whether you want to stick with your current import settings.

Russ

why do i need final cut pro backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.