Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transpose only part of a song?

I need to lower the key of a song that's part of a medley. The first two parts are fine, so I don't need to lower the whole thing. Is there a way that I can just lower part of the song?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 2:39 PM

You have to think of three different levels where you apply transposition

1) MIDI Event

You can just transpose individual MIDI Events bu dragging them up or down

2) Region

Select one or multiple Regions and use the Transpose Slider in the Inspector of the Audio or MIDI Editor. The Region Header in the Workspace (Tracks Area) will indicate the transpose number with a number (see the screenshot)

3) All Tracks

Apply Transposition to all Tracks with the Transposition Track by setting up the Transposition Curve, the section along the timeline that is transposed.

One important thing to keep in mind is that specific Regions (imported Audio FIles or Audio Files with Flex disabled) ignore the Transpose command and can't be transposed that way.

You can find more on all those transpose topics with a detailed explanation of the Flex Mode in my book "GarageBand X - How it Works"

In this screenshot, I transposed the Audio Region (+2) and the MIDI Region (+4). In addition I setup the Tranposition curve to transpose the Verse by +5 semitones and then go down -2 (not that this would make any sense musically).

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2014 2:39 PM in response to masterofthepanflute

You have to think of three different levels where you apply transposition

1) MIDI Event

You can just transpose individual MIDI Events bu dragging them up or down

2) Region

Select one or multiple Regions and use the Transpose Slider in the Inspector of the Audio or MIDI Editor. The Region Header in the Workspace (Tracks Area) will indicate the transpose number with a number (see the screenshot)

3) All Tracks

Apply Transposition to all Tracks with the Transposition Track by setting up the Transposition Curve, the section along the timeline that is transposed.

One important thing to keep in mind is that specific Regions (imported Audio FIles or Audio Files with Flex disabled) ignore the Transpose command and can't be transposed that way.

You can find more on all those transpose topics with a detailed explanation of the Flex Mode in my book "GarageBand X - How it Works"

In this screenshot, I transposed the Audio Region (+2) and the MIDI Region (+4). In addition I setup the Tranposition curve to transpose the Verse by +5 semitones and then go down -2 (not that this would make any sense musically).

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Can I transpose only part of a song?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.