Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Port Forwarding Risks?

I am going to port forward Minecraft on UDP and wonder if there is any risks or exploits when port forwarding. I have my Airport connected to my router and I believe I have to port forward the Airport on my router and port forward my computer on the same connection port. Will there be any exploits that will make any of my devices on the network vulnerable to hackers?

Latest model Airport Express Apr'14

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 3:03 PM

As you know when you configure a port mapping or port forwarding, the router will "listen" on this port for inbound traffic requesting it. This port, then, is opened when requested AND will send the request to the local IP address that you defined in the mapping. In essense you opened this port for both the router and computer to the Internet.

A more extreme example would be if you placed the same computer inside a DMZ. In this case, ALL ports on the router would be open to this single device further exposing it.

If you plan on hosting a Minecraft server, the host computer will be vulnerable regardless of which technique you use. As such you may want to consider placing this computer on its own network segment.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2014 3:03 PM in response to spiritwave2000

As you know when you configure a port mapping or port forwarding, the router will "listen" on this port for inbound traffic requesting it. This port, then, is opened when requested AND will send the request to the local IP address that you defined in the mapping. In essense you opened this port for both the router and computer to the Internet.

A more extreme example would be if you placed the same computer inside a DMZ. In this case, ALL ports on the router would be open to this single device further exposing it.

If you plan on hosting a Minecraft server, the host computer will be vulnerable regardless of which technique you use. As such you may want to consider placing this computer on its own network segment.

Port Forwarding Risks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.