Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Server - Screen Sharing does not work

Hi,

I have tried reinstalling OS X 10.9.2 and OS X Server 3.1.1 (Build 13S4140) on a Mac Mini Mid 2011. It is set up as a static address on my LAN.

I am trying to using Screen Sharing from my MAC Air OS X 10.9.2 to manage the MAC Mini server without a display.

In the MAC Mini settings, I have set up Screen Sharing and File sharing. I have set myself up as an administrator on the MAC Mini. I am able to reliably login and connect to the Mac Mini for file sharing. After I am logged in for file sharing, I then press the Screen Sharing button in finder, itries to connect and times out with the error " Connection failed to ...Server.

I have verified that the MAC Mini and the MAC Air are on the same LAN. I have tested Network status on both machines = ALL GREEN.

I have tried to use the OSX Server "Screen Sharing & Remote Management" , "Remote Access" and turning off Screen sharing in the MAC Mini Settings. I have tried every permutation.

I have turned off the firewalls on both machines.

I have used the same settings from another MAC Mini on a home LAN with the same MAC Air.

Nothing seems to work.

It worked briefly 2 days ago, but when I was unable to resolve the problem, I erased the harddrive and re-installed from scratch.

I would appreciate any suggestions to resolve this.

Many thanks

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), MAC Mini mid 2011, OSX Server 3.1.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 2:22 PM

6 replies

Apr 16, 2014 7:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

thanks for your help.

The Home Mac Mini was always worked. I have been able to screen share from my Mac Air.

I have not been able to screen share with the Mac Mini at my office. My original post is about the Mac Mini in my office.

I brought the Mac Mini from my office home this evening. I set it up on my Home LAN and was able to screen share from my Mac Air. I did check the router in my Office earlier today, and I did verify full connectivity of the Mac Air client and Mac Mini on the my Office LAN using the Apple Network Assistant.

Tomorrow I am going back to examine the Wifi Access Point in my office. It is separate from the router in the office.

I will update the post when I am done.

Apr 17, 2014 11:18 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

you are correct. Not clear if the problem is with the router or access point. Have ordered replacement router.

The odd thing is that the "Network Assistant" showed all green for the Mac Mini connection to the network, but there is some network problem.

Temporary workaround is a wired connection to the existing router.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Mac Mini Server - Screen Sharing does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.