Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! my project is not automatically saving to my external drive!

In the past, Final Cut Pro automatically saved my projects on my external disk. A test project saved as well. Now I'm working on a bigger project and for hours editing and so forth... When I went back to work on it, i could not find it anywhere on the disk! Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 3:02 PM

7 replies

Apr 16, 2014 3:21 PM in response to Torylouise

By default (you can change it), it saves in your Home folder: Users/user/movies/final cut pro backups. They should be there.

Having said that, I've found that the backup feature does not always work. I've found backup libraries in very unexpected places. And I have also experienced the failure to make any backup files whatsoever. So I find myself checking in the Finder regularly.

Russ

Apr 16, 2014 5:56 PM in response to Russ H

Thank you Russ, you answered my question as well. As long as I leave it at the default setting it backups regularly at the moment. However, I wanted to save space on main HD and elected to go external. No good. Is this a problem with FXP X and do you know whether Apple is considering solving the problem in the future? Sure would help.

Thanking you

Mitaka27

Apr 16, 2014 7:04 PM in response to Mitaka27

Mitaka27 wrote:

and do you know whether Apple is considering solving the problem in the future? Sure would help

No inside info about any Apple plans.

I do think it's worthwhile to report it on the Feedback link (from the FCP X men).

Good luck.

Russ

PS: Meant to comment that these BU libraries generally don't take up a lot of space.

Apr 17, 2014 5:13 AM in response to Russ H

The project was found in backup -- but a different version of it, but at least it was there. I guess this random issue exists with FXP X. I saved my project now in three different places, included external drive and I forced a backup. It's too bad this problem popped up when I had a deadline, but isn't that the way it goes?

Thank you all for your replies.

Apr 17, 2014 8:28 AM in response to Russ H

I found my project and backed it up while talking to a support rep on the phone. She sent me this link for back-up information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5773

Final Cut Pro X: Backing up, consolidating, and moving projects

Use these helpful resources to learn more about backing up and organizing your Final Cut Pro X projects.

Help! my project is not automatically saving to my external drive!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.