Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto not finding picture locations

I just imported a set of pictures and was trying to set their locations. I type the location, click on 'find xxx on the map' and it is not

found. It spins for awhile and then stops. If the location was already in my list of places, however, it will bring up the correct map.

I had to go to 'manage my places', find a nearby place it already knows about, move to the correct place and place a pin. Then I can

go back to the pictures and enter the place name and it will be found. It appears that using google maps to search for places is not

working at all, although it used to.

Also, if I try to move the map by clicking on it and draging, it tends to jump back to where it was as I move it. I have to put a pin down

and move the pin.

Anybody else noticing this. I have iPhoto9 and Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 4:17 PM

12 replies

Apr 19, 2014 4:52 PM in response to LarryHN

LN;

YES, the preference is set to look up places automatically.

Currently, I am persuing two other things I've found on the web. One is to DELETE the iPhote file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iphoto.

The other is to put my applications back into the default location.

Unfortunatly, a while back I tried to 'group' similar applications a la iOS. Now when I right click on an image to 'add to iPhoto' the task FAILS. So far, I have not found any information on the 'proper' location for all the applications (I had just dragged them into new folders such as 'Images' 'Writing', etc. Think this was probably a bad move. and may be contrfibuting to my problem (can't say for sure that the problelm coincided with the moving, but it did work properly some time in the past).

Thanks,

Nik

Apr 20, 2014 1:09 PM in response to LarryHN

It was not and I changed it. Will see if that helps next time I import pictures from a new location. However,

unless something in the system changed this preference value, it has always been that way and this was

working until recently. I would actually of thought that automatic lookup meant iPhoto inserted locations

from pictures with GPS data embedded in them.

Apr 24, 2014 7:04 PM in response to Karl999

I have encountered BOTH of those problems. First it was the jumping map/pin location. Now, typing a place into the search area spins and does nothing. This is the first time I've placed photos in a few months. I have done nothing to change iPhoto or my computer.

I really hope this isn't permanently broken, but since it's iPhoto '09 on 10.6.8 I fear it is.

Apr 27, 2014 10:20 AM in response to LarryHN

I understand that the application won't be updated. What I want to know is why/how the Places feature has just now/in the past six months steadily degraded in quality and usability until it's reached this point, where you can't type in a place and the map jumps when you try to move it. If there can't be anything done about it, I'd like an answer to that, so I know that there is no alternative except to upgrade to iPhoto '11 and hope everything I've done with iPhoto and especially Places to this point still works.

May 3, 2014 10:07 PM in response to Old Toad

I cleared all my Google cookies in Safari as another thread suggested but it did not solve the issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5604719?tstart=0

I then did what you suggested - I created a new, test library for iPhoto, imported a batch of photos, and tried to use the Places function. In Add New Place, I type a town, it spins about 5-10 seconds, then stops. Nothing happens.

This is still frustrating me but after seeing what iPhoto '11 has done to the interface, I think I would prefer to live in iPhoto '09 even if this problem persists. Places (and Keywords) are really, really important to me.

May 4, 2014 8:11 AM in response to jeffdm

think I would prefer to live in iPhoto '09 even if this problem persist. Places (and Keywords) are really, really important to me.

Even if you do upgrade to iPhoto 9 (11) faces and places will still remain. You don't lose them by upgrading to a newer version of iPhoto.

One more test: log into another user account and try the same test there.

If the you don't get the same results do the following in your account:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents the following folder:

User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

If the problem persists in the other account then the problem is system wide which points to a reinstall of the application.

iPhoto not finding picture locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.