Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop Mail.app fro putting any iCloud emails in the Junk Folder. I am on 10.9.2

I originally did not have the check box selected for Enable Junk Mail Filtering, but Mail.app placed lots of mail in my Junk Folder. Then I tried selecting Enable Junk Mail Filtering and Mark as junk mail, but leave it in my Inbox; the mail is still placed in the Junk Folder. Does anyone know how to fix this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 4:48 PM

10 replies

Apr 16, 2014 9:30 PM in response to FredHeinemann

Actually, iCloud's mail servers do check for junk mail. Here's a quote from the iCloud.com help files:

"iCloud automatically identifies most junk mail (spam) sent to your @icloud.com address or its aliases and moves the junk mail to your Junk mail folder. If you receive unwanted mail, you can mark it as junk. Messages marked as junk are displayed with a junk mail icon User uploaded file."

Apr 17, 2014 9:14 AM in response to FredHeinemann

When you find non-junk has been erroneously considered to be junk, you have to tell iCloud.com about that particular mis-assignment by logging into your iCloud account on the website and following this procedure:

"Indicate that an email message isn’t junk

1. Click the Junk folder in the sidebar.
  2. Select a message, then click the Not Junk button in the top right of the message window.

The message is moved to your Inbox. Subsequent email messages from the same sender are no longer automatically marked as junk."

Elsewhere in Apple's help system, they say

"You can also use the Mail app to mark messages as junk so that later messages from the same sender are automatically marked as junk:

In OS X, select the message and click the Junk (thumbs down) icon in the Mail toolbar."

They do not say that you can use Mail.app to unflag junk ("report false positives") by clicking the Not Junk (thumbs down) icon, but they also do not say that you cannot. I'm not sure whether that works.

Apr 26, 2014 11:47 PM in response to markwmsn

markwmsn wrote:

When you find non-junk has been erroneously considered to be junk, you have to tell iCloud.com about that particular mis-assignment by logging into your iCloud account on the website and following this procedure:

"Indicate that an email message isn’t junk

1. Click the Junk folder in the sidebar.
  2. Select a message, then click the Not Junk button in the top right of the message window.

The message is moved to your Inbox. Subsequent email messages from the same sender are no longer automatically marked as junk."

Elsewhere in Apple's help system, they say

"You can also use the Mail app to mark messages as junk so that later messages from the same sender are automatically marked as junk:

In OS X, select the message and click the Junk (thumbs down) icon in the Mail toolbar."

They do not say that you can use Mail.app to unflag junk ("report false positives") by clicking the Not Junk (thumbs down) icon, but they also do not say that you cannot. I'm not sure whether that works.

Frankly it makes no sense to have to log on to iCloud to do this, when the very same features (i.e., "Mark as Junk" and "Mark as Not Junk") are built into Mail.app -- but don't reliably appear when messages are falsely marked as junk.

Bottom line: Although I love my Apple products, this is another one of the many features that's been broken for years -- and somehow just isn't imporant enough to Apple to fix.

Apr 28, 2014 9:33 AM in response to markwmsn

markwmsn wrote:

While I agree that it's a missed opportunity, I wouldn't agree that it's a broken feature.

With junk-mail settings set to "Mark as junk mail, but leave it in my inbox," Mail.app ignores that setting and continues to move junk (and good mail that it thinks is junk) into the Junk folder.

In any universe, that's a broken feature.

Apr 28, 2014 2:15 PM in response to Syncopator

Syncopator wrote:

With junk-mail settings set to "Mark as junk mail, but leave it in my inbox," Mail.app ignores that setting and continues to move junk (and good mail that it thinks is junk) into the Junk folder.

That's different. I thought we were discussing the fact that "Thumbs-Up" in Mail.app doesn't seem to notify iCloud.com about the change, or at least Apple doesn't claim that it does.

In your example, do you know for a fact that it is Mail.app doing the moving and not iCloud.com (or your email supplier) servers?

How can I stop Mail.app fro putting any iCloud emails in the Junk Folder. I am on 10.9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.