Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is my external Hard Drive ?

After downloading the latest software I am unable to locate my external drive when hooked up to the USB ports...........there used to be a spot that automatically popped up once the external drive was hooked up. Now there is nothing that shows up or allows me to access it. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 8:15 PM

14 replies

Apr 17, 2014 4:01 AM in response to Niel

The same issue happened to my Macbook Pro last March. It was due to full disk and suddenly I can no longer boot it up.

Just like me, if you have Windows in bootcamp partition, you can try to boot from there and diagnose the issue. The hard disk that time showed that it was damaged and can no longer get mounted. So I decided to just erase the content using the Disk Utility (this is available when your in recovery mode). Luckily, after that, my disk is again healthy and I don't have to replace it just yet. Right now, I am able to use my Macbook with no issue.

I am not sure of this, but you if you decided to erase your disk partition using the Disk Utility, there's an option called 'Fast' where you will have a high possibility of recovering your data.

<Edited by Host>

Where is my external Hard Drive ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.