Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to my iPhoto Library?

Hello. About a week ago I migrated all of my files onto a new mac from my old one. I restored my old computer back to its factory settings, and thought i had everything on my new Mac. However, I recently discovered that when I open iPhoto, it has all of the event titles sorted how they were, but all of the actual pictures are missing. I took a screenshot and it looks like this:

User uploaded file

Does anyon know what is going on here? And if the photos do happen to be lost, is there any way of recovering them at all?

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 10:52 PM

6 replies

Apr 16, 2014 11:32 PM in response to epikfilmz11

Does anyon know what is going on here? And if the photos do happen to be lost, is there any way of recovering them at all?

Have you checked the file size of your iPhoto library? It shows as having more than 43000 photos. So it should have a size of more than 100 GB. If the size is correct, your photos are still there. Do you still have the original library on your old mac? And a current backup? Before trying anything to fix the library, make sure, you have a backup copy.

I'd start with the iPhoto library first Aid Tools: Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and start with "Rebuild Thumbnails". Try the other options one after the other, if the first does not help.

-- Léonie

Apr 16, 2014 11:43 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the answer, but it seems like the photos aren't there, as my library is only about 10 GB. I do have an old backup somewhere, I believe, but it doesn't have all 43,000 photos--probably just about 3/4. My old mac is completely restored and new. I tried with the iPhoto Aid Tools--no luck. Is there any chance of retrieving the rest of those photos?

Apr 16, 2014 11:53 PM in response to epikfilmz11

as my library is only about 10 GB.

This looks like you did not actually import your photos into your iPhoto library but used a referenced library - import with the iPhoto preference "Advanced > Copy items into the iPhoto Library" disabled. Then the photos will not be included into the library but referenced in their original location. And in that case you need to restore this folder outside the library.

Or the iPhoto library did transfer incompletely and most contents of the "Masters" folder in the library is missing. How did you migrate the library to your new mac?

Apr 17, 2014 2:03 AM in response to epikfilmz11

.if the photos just aren't imported into iPhoto would they be in a certain hidden place?

They would be in the folder you imported them from. And if you deleted that folder, they would be gone.

Have you checked, if your backed up library is larger than 10 GB and contains more photos?

Look into your current library, but carefully. Ctrl-click the iPhoto Library in the Finder and use the command "Show Package Contents". Don't move anything or change anything, just browse the folders inside. Look for a folder named "Masters". Are there any original images in the folders named year-month-day at all?

My old mac is completely restored and new.

Did you reformat the drive of the old computer or erase it safely? If not, there may still be photos on the disk, so recovery software might find them.

May 19, 2014 12:48 AM in response to léonie

I ended up using recovery software and I am glad to say I have all of the photos...except all of the dates are wrong. However, in my iPhoto library it still has that information, but the photos itself are not there. Is there an easy way to sync the photos with the correct information in iPhoto or will I have to reupload them and manually put in the approximate date for each one?

What happened to my iPhoto Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.