Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone *4S* in recovery loop able to toggle dfu but WILL NOT restore....

I APPOLOGIZE THAT THIS POSTED QUESTION OF MINE IS SO LONG. HOWEVER, IT IS A NEED TO KNOW BASIS FOR YOU ALL IN ORDER TO ASSIST/HELP ME WITH THIS MATTER THANK YOU FOR READING.... First of all i highly appreciate all of you taking time to read this question as well as all of your efforts to assist me in this matter thank you.... Here is the issue.... My 15 year old brother purchased an iphone 4s from ebay at $75.00. The description and status of this iphone 4s stated that it is "STUCK IN DFU MODE" we knew nothing about the dfu situation. (or how highly difficult it would later be) So he asks me if he should buy it, well i said yes thinking that this problem sounded legitament as well as easy/simple to bypass and or repair. Therefore he purchased it thinking we could bypass this dfu problem, and he would finally have a fully functional iphone 4s as he has been anticipating to own one. As He knows more about idevices than i do and owns alot of them from ipod touch all the way up to this stubborn iphone 4s. He began to work on this iphone 4s project trying to get it to boot up and work correctly for a couple of days, and hours at a time, it wouldnt no matter what. I then took over the project, and i have to say, this particular iphone 4s, is very corrupted/damaged as far as something software/firmware related within this iphone 4s. So for several hours at a time for almost 3 or 4 months into this grueling project this morning included i have been putting all of my effort into fxing this iphone 4s. I couldnt/cannot get it to restore on itunes (of which we both have the most recent update of itunes) in recovery mode and in dfu mode. I toggled our firewalls to allow the itunes update server. I as well as i toggled our anti-virus programs into disabled mode for the times of which we have been trying to restore and update this iphone. It did update, however, as usual it will not restore with itunes it *ALWAYS* responds back to us with itunes the cannot restore this iphone, the following unknown error has occurred,error (9). I then proceeded to searching online for a solution to the problem(s). As well as this error code (9) itunes continuosly states, After it shows a loading bar under the white apple logo/boot screen on the iphone 4s. It soon there after tries to restore it then responds back with the afformentioned error code (9). The thing is that ive researched, researched, and researched on youtube, bing, and other forums. As i did not know about this apple support community until this morning. Ive spent about 2 and a half hours searching the community here. So yes, i have searched the support community thoroughly. However i have yet to find the solution to the iphone 4s errors we are facing with this potentially irreparable iphone 4s. I am in great hopes that it cant be completely useless, static shocked, or "bricked" because it turns on and registers on itunes etc. Ive went so far as opening the iphone 4s as well so as to see if it would happen to be a hardware issue. Yet everything on the inside of this iphone 4s, is in perfect order as well as new just as the outer casing and the screen. he ordered this iphone 4s from some seller profile of which was a cell phone store/seller (or so it said) on ebay. So my thoughts on it now are if they couldnt get this iphone 4s to boot up and fully function. Then im not sure if i can either, as i know nothing about idevices period. However i have learned a whole lot about them now. in conclusion all i can say about this entire situation with my brothers iphone 4s is that, i hope that i can get it repaired by myself with the proper assistance through the community from you all... 🙂 But right now i feel sad for my younger brother because i cant seem to get his iphone up and running of which he is excited to have working and he is relying on me to get it fixed....

P.S.- I think that this iphone 4s has probably been dropped and something inside is loose causing it to have all of the issues it is having im not to sure though.... its just a thought i had about this iphone, also maybe it got too hot and it is therefore malfunctioning? and if that is the case then theres got to be some way to fix the hardware inside of this iphone by soldering or just simply unplugging something and then plugging it back in? again these are just some thoughts ive had about this whole situation. I mainly think, that this iphone 4s somewhere along the lines, was corrupted/damaged by the person(s) who has had it/owned it in the past. They had to of tampered with the iphone 4s by jailbreaking it or attempting to do so. Or they may have damaged it by improperly updating the ios, improperly attempting to restore it, or downgrade it, etc. And the only "SOLUTIONS" i found online, were various programs to fix all of the problems/problemthis iphone is having trouble with. NOTE: these programs i knew absolutely nothing about or how to use them. Only by following youtube tutorials etc. i eventually learned my way around them. Anyway EVERY LAST ONE OF THESE PROGRAMS FAILED VERY MISERABLY in repairing this iphone 4s. I found all of the following programs and attempted to use all of them with my brothers iphone 4s they are all up to date and are as follows: redsn0w, ifaith, tinyumbrella, ireb r7, sn0wbreeze, bluefreeze and recboot. these were all reffered to me by youtube and other forums to "help" with an iphone 4s. i do not know anything about these programs as far as if i should have used them. However, like i said they were on youtube and such so i got them in a desperate attempt to fix my brothers iphone 4s and again i appologize this posted question of mine was very long however majority of this information is a need to know basis in order to help/ assist me in this matter THANK YOU ALL....

iPhone 4S, Windows 7, I dont know what ios is on iphone

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 2:04 AM

11 replies

Apr 17, 2014 3:44 AM in response to Blark1985

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3694#9

Configure your security software

Related errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1000, 1611, 9006, 9807, or 9844. Sometimes as a result of this issue, a device might stop responding during the restore process.

Check your security software and settings, which can block ports and prevent connection to Apple servers during update and restore.

Apr 17, 2014 5:01 AM in response to KiltedTim

Do you Know what version was it runnig for example ios 7.1 or ios 6.1

If it's not ios 7.1 then download the firmware file from this link below put the Iphone in dfu mod, Itunes will recognize your device in Restore mode and if you are using the windows then hold the shift key(Windows) or Mac key (Mac) and click on restore and selet the IPSW (Firmware file) and let itunes do that

Firmware file link:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS7.1/031-4642.20140310.FFN31/iPhone4,1_7.1_11D167_Re store.ipsw

If this doesnt work turn your device off by pressing the home and the power/sleep button for 10-15 sec. When the Iphone turns off connect the cable to the computer but not to the iphone yet. once you have done that press the home button and connect the cable. Keep holding the button until Itunes recognize your device on restore mode. When you are in restore mode and itunes icon with a cable will come up on your iphone. then hold the shift(Windows) or Mac Key (Mac) button and click on Check For update button. a window will pop up and select the firmware file that you downloaded before.

If this doesn't work then reply back to me and i will give you other solutions

Apr 17, 2014 7:20 AM in response to Blark1985

If you have the latest version of iTunes you should not have to download the ipsw file separately as jalp suggests. iTunes will download it automatically.

This error (9) most often means that your antivirus or firewall (or router) is blocking access to Apple's servers. In rare instances it can also mean that the phone was hacked (or "jailbroken") to unlock it. If this is the case you must do a DFU restore, not Recovery Mode, as follows:

• Reboot your computer
  • Disable your antivirus and firewall. If you has Kaspersky you may actually have to uninstall it, as it can never be turned completely off.
  • Connect the USB cable to a USB port directly on your computer, not to a hub. DO NOT connect the other end to the phone
  • Disconnect all USB devices except for mouse, keyboard and iPhone cable.
  • Launch iTunes
  • On the phone hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for EXACTLY 10 seconds, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. The screen should be black. If it has an Apple logo this means you held both buttons too long. Release the HOME button and do it again.
  • While holding the HOME button connect the free end of the cable to the phone.
  • After a short while iTunes should recognize a phone in "recovery mode" (iTunes doesn't know the difference between DFU and Recovery modes, but the phone does)
  • Release the HOME button and don't touch the phone or the computer until the process completes or you get an error message. Ignore any displays on the phone.

If the error recurs the phone was probably messed up when it was hacked. This is not a hardware problem, or if it is, it isn't one you can fix.

You can try repeating these steps with a different computer and a different cable. If that fails also the phone is probably not repairable.

Apr 17, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

well i have called my local mac authority store and they said that this iphone 4s is probably still in the "find my iphone" option and is locked in icloud rendering it COMPLETELY USELESS i am now officially angered... highly... because 1) my brother has been sold either a stolen iphone or he has been scammed 2) i cannot get ahold of the people who sold this iphone to my brother 3) i cant believe this has happend to us but welcome to ebay right!?...

Jan 13, 2016 7:54 PM in response to Blark1985

hermano yo pase por el mismo problema esta es la solución : abre el dispositivo , quitandole la tapa trasera quita el blindaje donde esta la cámara y desconecta el táctil y todos los conectores meno el de power, conectarlo a itune y dale a restaurar y veras la solución ve descartando las pieza de wifi , audio, táctil para ver si arranca , mayormente es hardware error 9 , saludo desde Venezuela

Iphone *4S* in recovery loop able to toggle dfu but WILL NOT restore....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.