Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro makes popping noise

Hi, hope someone will be able to help!

I have a 1 year old MacBook Pro, using OS X (10.9.2) and it has recently been making one small popping noise, but every 5 minutes and there are no notifications.

After reading other questions, I have fully deleted and uninstalled Skype, but the noise is still there. When my mac is muted, I can't hear the sound so I assume its not a hardware issue. The battery etc is in normal condition.

Any help would be great, thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2017 10:51 PM

I have the same issue on my MBP 15/16GbRam/2.9Mhz/Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB.

I took it to the apple store mentioning all the forum posts and tech news talking about this popping noise.

I had to show them how I could replicate the noise and this is quiet important for them.

- Let the computer off for 2h - cool down

- Start the computer when you are with the Apple staff

- Start CPU demanding program (illustrator/3D design package ...)

- The CPU start heating up and the popping noise appear soon after (due to body heat expansion in my opinion)

Note : it was hard to hear cause it was really noisy around

After they acknowledge the issue, I told them than none of the repair I saw through forums where succeful.

They contacted Apple engineer team and they told me they had no solution for this at the moment.

They also mentioned it would be useless to change any parts because they had no clue where the issue was from.

They took notes of all my comments with the date of my visit which is really important for warranty purposes.

They told me they will contact me when they find a solution.

Good reason for you to spend 30 minutes at the apple store :

- I have tracking with date of my visit for warranty purposes even if the apple solution comes after the warranty expiring date

- They acknowledge the problem and sent me copy of the report

- They have more information to replicate the same popping noise

- I didn't have to leave my laptop for unnecessary repairs and I can still work on it until they find a solution

Finger cross, we will have a solution soon.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2017 10:51 PM in response to alicethackery

I have the same issue on my MBP 15/16GbRam/2.9Mhz/Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB.

I took it to the apple store mentioning all the forum posts and tech news talking about this popping noise.

I had to show them how I could replicate the noise and this is quiet important for them.

- Let the computer off for 2h - cool down

- Start the computer when you are with the Apple staff

- Start CPU demanding program (illustrator/3D design package ...)

- The CPU start heating up and the popping noise appear soon after (due to body heat expansion in my opinion)

Note : it was hard to hear cause it was really noisy around

After they acknowledge the issue, I told them than none of the repair I saw through forums where succeful.

They contacted Apple engineer team and they told me they had no solution for this at the moment.

They also mentioned it would be useless to change any parts because they had no clue where the issue was from.

They took notes of all my comments with the date of my visit which is really important for warranty purposes.

They told me they will contact me when they find a solution.

Good reason for you to spend 30 minutes at the apple store :

- I have tracking with date of my visit for warranty purposes even if the apple solution comes after the warranty expiring date

- They acknowledge the problem and sent me copy of the report

- They have more information to replicate the same popping noise

- I didn't have to leave my laptop for unnecessary repairs and I can still work on it until they find a solution

Finger cross, we will have a solution soon.

MacBook Pro makes popping noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.