Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Hard Drive Issue

I work at a university that provides computer repair services to students. Currently, I have two MBP 13" (one a 2012, and one a 2010) model, but both experiencing the same issue. They are not able to boot into OSX, but both have new HDD that have been tested and recongized on Linux and Windows, in addition have passed a Drive Fitness Test. The issue is when these drives are installed in the MBP's, they are not recongized by Disk Utility either of two different OSX install disks. I have reset the PRAM and SMC of both machines, and reseated the SATA connector in both. I am leaning towards SATA cable failure being the cause, but do not have another known functioning one to test with. My question is, what is the chances of the cable failing? I have never heard of a traditional SATA cable failure being a major issue, but just one offs. Also, does anyone have recommendations for purchasing a replacement cable? I have found a few by searching Google, but their prices are over $40. This seems silly for a simply cable.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 7:54 AM

Go to www.ifixit.com and get the 'official' Apple part number for the SATA cable(s) and then do a search on eBay - I've never known anyone to have a problem with an eBay cable (you would think otherwise...).

Clinton

4 replies

Jan 5, 2016 6:29 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I have a mid 2012 MBP which has lost connection to the HDD. It turns out that these models are starting to have SATA controller failures.

The engineer said that older models often had cable issues, but not mid 2012's and newer, at least not under normal circumstances.
While I was in the shop, another guy came in with the same problem.

Anyway, we swapped the cable to no avail. The drive is fine, the HDD SATA controller is faulty :-(
The engineer was very confident from the outset that the controller was the cause, he is seeing more and more 2012's with the same issue......

MBP Hard Drive Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.