Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2009 has gray screen, safe mode won't work

I have a Macbook Pro 2009, with a new hard drive installed in August of 2013. I opened my computer a couple days ago to a gray screen with a prohibitory sign and a spinning gear that will not disappear. I have no backup and tried to backup my hard drive to an external drive in Recovery Mode, but I got an error message and the backup did not work: the image could not be created. So I decided to try Safe Mode, but the Macbook will not enter safe mode. Is there any way to get onto the computer just to backup a handful of files onto an external drive before I format my drive and start over? Am I doing something wrong by trying to enter safe mode? (I held down the Shift key after the chime and released it when the Apple logo and the gear appeared) Any help is appreciated. I've read all the topics in the forums I could find on this issue, but none of the directions seem to help. Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 9:14 AM

7 replies

Apr 17, 2014 9:56 AM in response to LisaLoParo

LisaLoParo,

no, you’re not doing anything wrong in trying to boot into Safe mode.

I can think of three possible alternatives to Safe mode to try:

• If you have an external disk, you could boot from the grey Mac OS X Install DVD which came in the box with your MacBook Pro, and try copying files from your internal disk to the external disk;
  • If you have a bootable external disk, you could boot from it using Startup Manager, and try copying files from your internal disk to the external disk;
  • If you have access to a FireWire 800 cable and a second Mac with a FireWire 800 port, you could try booting your MacBook Pro into Target Disk mode so that it can be used as an external disk from the second Mac, and try copying files from your MacBook Pro to the second Mac.

You’d only need to try one of these three alternatives; if you try one of them and it doesn’t work, then you’d get the same result by trying either of the other two. Good luck.

Macbook Pro 2009 has gray screen, safe mode won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.