Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi grayed out on iPhone 4s - repair or replace?

Hello, I would like to ask, my iPhone 4s' WiFi button is all grayed out and I have read several information online that it has something to do with the wifi chip overheating.

My phone is out of warranty already and it is from Globe. I read that iPhone, starting April 14, is already open for repairing iPhone devices even those that are from telephone companies. My questions are:

- is it possible to replace the wifi chip in PowerMac Service Centers in the Philippines

- how much would the repair cost?

- if repair is not possible, how much is the estimated cost of a replacement, iPhone4s and/or iPhone 5 and is it usually cheaper compared to buying a new phone outside?

Thank you so much. I can't contact PowerMac yet because of the Holy Week observance (malls are closed).

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1, wifi issue

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 10:06 AM

1 reply

Oct 3, 2014 10:44 AM in response to f_bar

I had the same problem, and I was able to make a PERMANENT hardware fix following the DIY instructions found at iFixIt.com. The core issue, as I understand it, is cracks in the solder joints that hold the WiFi chip to the iPhone's main logic board. If any kind of freeze-your-phone or heat-your-phone hacks fix yours temporarily, I can probably fix yours the same way. Contact me offline marty dot swartz at gmail.com

Wifi grayed out on iPhone 4s - repair or replace?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.