Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX - files will not import on first try (camera symbol on clips). Have to reimport, then it works.

I have a GoPro Hero+ BE camera I am trying to import video from. I have done this many times before, without these problems. As far as I know, I'm doing the import process exactly as I have before. Today I encountered this problem:

After going through import process the usual way (by using the shortkeys apple+I, and choosing "copy media into library" + "optimize media") the video clips appear in browser but are not imported (they have camera symbol on them). FCPX never starts the import process (progress circle stays at 100%) nor starts transcoding/analysing. Only after hitting file -> import -> reimport, the video is imported. Then I have to manually go to file -> "transcode media".

Usually FCPX would start the import process and I would see these "progression circles" on each clip, then after importing, FCPX would start the transcribe/analyse process automatically. Now though, after going through the import process the same way as before (as far as i know), instead of importing the clips, it seems like FCPX just "links" the clips between the browser and the camera, and thats it. No importing and no transcoding, even though I have selected this during import. What is happening here?

I have just started out using FCPX (2 days ago), so I assume I am doing something wrong here / messed something up.

My computer:

MBP 15" mid-09. (top specs). 2.8 GHz, 8 GB ram. SSD 256 GB. 512 MB ram on graphics.

OSX: 10.9

Camera: GoPro Hero+ B.E.

FCPX version 10.1

Thank you very much in advance for spending the time answering to my problem =)

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 11:16 AM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2014 12:34 AM in response to Anterialis

Nobody who can point me in the right direction?

It happened again yesterday. I was going to import about 30 min of video clips from my GoPro, and after going through the regular import process; marking the videoclips from my external camcorder attached through usb which i want to import, clicking "import", then in the next window that appears, clicking "ok" after checking "fix audio" "optimize media" etc. The next thing that happenes is that all the video clips i chose for import appears in the browser, BUT with a camcorder symbol on them meaning then havent been imported. So when I detach the external camcorder, the clips go missing (red icon with "missing media"). This happenes because the clips haven't been properly imported. Why not?? The only temporary solution I've found is to "re-import" all the clips from file -> import -> reimport after going through the real import process. Then it works fine.

Why does this happen? Any solutions? Thanks in advance for any replies, and sorry for my english!

Apr 20, 2014 11:50 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well usually the import process (indicated by a "progress circle in the corner of the clip) is the first thing that happens in my experience. When all media to be imported is in fact imported, then the analysis and transcoding processes starts.. Why would it analyze first and then import? Besides, after trying 5 times today (I immediately deleted the import process when I realized it didn't work), it suddenly worked this fifth time, importing as normal. Then again, with some other clips, it's back to not working again. Also, when this "error" happens, fcpx doesnt seem to be doing anything. I mean, opening the HUD which is showing what fcp is doing, I see that it's actually doing nothing. Everything is idling.... And there is a camera symbol on the clips in the browser, and clips don't get imported.. :/

Other suggestions? Thanks for all help! :)

FCPX - files will not import on first try (camera symbol on clips). Have to reimport, then it works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.