Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone with Mac knowledge please enlighten me !

Hello, I have a 2012 MacBook Pro 15". Well, it all started when I spilt coffee on the keyboard and watched my computer crash in front of me. With that said I opened it up and let it sit for about 2 weeks, then went at it with a q-tip and took everything out that was relitively easy. ie the battery. After that my computer ran fine for a long time ( almost a year ) and now, after messing around with some partitioning and some VmWare Fusion with Windows 7 I am running into odd and scary behaviour. First it started with my computer giving me the good o'l 3 beep hardware warning when trying to turn it on. When I got home I called apple support and was given instructions and advice to reinstall the OSX. So, when I command + option + R'd the startup and tried to reinstall the OSX I got an error message telling me that that OSX was damaged and could not be used. So, being the responsible student I went into my many back ups from time machine on my external 1 TB hard drive and restored it to a 10.7.4 operating system. Then upped it to 10.8.5. Yesterday I thought I had it beat with my non-partitioned hard drive so I went ahead and partitioned about 100 GB as Dos-Fat for Bootcamp ( Come to find out 10.8.5 has Bootcamp issues ) and then deleted the partition and re-merged the whole computer together. Now, before I started working on it I made sure I did one more Back up. Today in class, after moving it from my apt. to school in my laptop bag, I opened it and the desktop popped up before my login screen and it got all horizontaly shaky and then shut down. Like it has done after completely freezing. It seems to only have problems when I move it or if it sits for long long periods of time. Can anyone at least just tell me what's going on ?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 11:32 AM

3 replies

Apr 17, 2014 11:41 AM in response to Robb Bianchi-Fruin

A bit difficult to "diagnose" long distance, but first, spilling liquids is never good and although it ran well, there may be some slow corrosion going on. As for the current shaking, etc, I'd guess it's the graphics card.

So, my recommendation would be to book an appointment at your nearest Genius Bar - someone really needs to look at it and can then give a much better diagnosis.

Apr 17, 2014 12:29 PM in response to Robb Bianchi-Fruin

Robb Bianchi-Fruin wrote:

Hello, I have a 2012 MacBook Pro 15". Well, it all started when I spilt coffee on the keyboard and watched my computer crash in front of me. With that said I opened it up and let it sit for about 2 weeks, then went at it with a q-tip and took everything out that was relitively easy. ie the battery.

After that my computer ran fine for a long time ( almost a year ) and now, after messing around with some partitioning and some VmWare Fusion with Windows 7 I am running into odd and scary behaviour.

First it started with my computer giving me the good o'l 3 beep hardware warning when trying to turn it on. When I got home I called apple support and was given instructions and advice to reinstall the OSX. So, when I command + option + R'd the startup and tried to reinstall the OSX I got an error message telling me that that OSX was damaged and could not be used.

So, being the responsible student I went into my many back ups from time machine on my external 1 TB hard drive and restored it to a 10.7.4 operating system. Then upped it to 10.8.5.

Yesterday I thought I had it beat with my non-partitioned hard drive so I went ahead and partitioned about 100 GB as Dos-Fat for Bootcamp ( Come to find out 10.8.5 has Bootcamp issues ) and then deleted the partition and re-merged the whole computer together.

Now, before I started working on it I made sure I did one more Back up.

Today in class, after moving it from my apt. to school in my laptop bag, I opened it and the desktop popped up before my login screen and it got all horizontaly shaky and then shut down. Like it has done after completely freezing.

It seems to only have problems when I move it or if it sits for long long periods of time. Can anyone at least just tell me what's going on ?

Liquid damage can take some time to show consequences of corrosion problems.

Bootcamp assistant will do the partition for you, for further reference.

Apple Hardware Test is not definitive by any means, an especially not good at showing intermittent problems.

I think your best bet is to take it in an get a free assessment for repair. Accidental liquid damage is not covered by the standard warranty.

Genius reservation http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

on-line https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

check warranty https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Someone with Mac knowledge please enlighten me !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.