Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2009 13" MBP RAM slot failure

Hello,

My MBP is a 5,5 model (2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo) running Mavericks on 4GB (was 8GB from an upgrade ~1 year ago). Before the RAM slot failed, it had begun to to slow down. I only use it for school and torrenting (which I usually transfer to an external), but it was taking forever to load webpages so I had decided I was going to sell it and put the money towards a new MBP. Then my RAM slot failed. Apple offered to send off my MBP and fix whatever is wrong with it (likely the logic board, they say) for $280. I declined, because I figured if I was going to sell it, it's more than half of what I'd get for it if it wasn't broken. I ordered a new 13" MBP i7 with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. Feels like overkill, but I figured I may as well future proof it. Anyway, I'm still waiting on that laptop, but I've been doing some research trying to figure out what to do with my old one. I came across some recommendations saying to replace the optical drive (which I never use) with an SSD and loading the OS and apps there.

So, I think that's what I want to do with my old MBP - Have Apple fix the Logic Board and then move the HDD in place of the Optical Drive and put a 120GB SSD in place of the old HDD from OWC for $79. So, $379 to fix and upgrade my current MBP.

My question is, how long can I expect this to continue performing well? Is the $379 worth it to upgrade? If so, are the benefits substantial enough and long-lasting to make it worth cancelling my current order? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 11:33 AM

5 replies

Apr 17, 2014 11:48 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

OGELTHORPE,

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I don't fully understand how the components work together, but I was under the impression that the RAM slot was attached to the Logic Board. The Genius at the Apple store told me that for that $280 flat fee, whatever was wrong with the MBP would be fixed (including the bad RAM slot, logic board, etc.).

Apr 17, 2014 12:01 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

That's what I hear. I had it done once about a year and a half ago (my mom dropped her laptop and broke it, but needed a new one for work and gave me this one). I took it to the store, shipped it off, and got it back about two weeks later in working order for $280. The Genius told me the same thing. I thought it was a normal thing, but most people don't seem to know about it.

Are the performance increases of installing a new SSD and having a full 8GB of RAM enough to justify canceling my order (aside from the monetary concerns)?

As an aside, just today I've found a few links about heat and screws being too tight as the cause of a RAM slot failure. Once I get home, I'm going to try it out and maybe save myself $280 and the cost of a new MBP.

Apr 17, 2014 5:42 PM in response to Sean8448

The below post from another discussion thread fixed my problem. I think I'm going to buy an SSD and my old MBP as the traveller to keep bumping around to a minimum when the new one comes in.

tl;dr - Loosen the four screws that hold in the RAM module by about a 1/4-1/2 turn.

quadturbo wrote:

I believe I have found a DEFINITIVE solution to an identifiable problem. I have a Macbook Pro 13" 2010, with 8 gb ram. In the last 6 months, I have had Bank 1 (4 gb) disappearing on me intermittently. In the last two months, I had consistent loss of 4 gb of ram, especially after restart. When I start cold (after 24 hours), it recognizes 8 gb, but if I restart, it recognizes only 4 gb. I would stick the macbook in the freezer for 10 min. Of course, I get 8 gb.

So what the ****?

I have gone through every thread google has to offer. No solution, except that the best explanation was that circuit board was getting old. It explains why Apple created new vents for the new Macbooks. I also believe they soldered in the ram for this exact reason.

So I got sick of it and opened up the macbook, unscrewed, removed, cleaned out the fan, unscrewed the circuit board removed the Ram. I even unscrewed the 4 screws around the plastic RAM holder. I cleaned everything out with 91% isopropyl alcohol and everything inside the RAM holder and the ram itself.

I tested each RAM in each slot alone and carefully turned the computer on. 4 gb as expected. Both banks worked. Both RAM functioned fine alone in each of the banks.

So what the ****?

I popped both back in.....8 gb. Restarted it. 8 gb. I did this 10 x. Every time 8gb.

So I thought it was because I did a great "cleaning" job. I screwed everything back in, circuit board, RAM "holder", etc. Restarted....7.75 gb. !?

Restarted again.... 4gb?! DId this 10x, 4 gb.

What the ****?

I opened everything and LOOSENED the four screws around the Ram HOLDER.....

8 gb ever since!

I believe with time, the awesome heat from the macbook pro eventually warps the circuit board. My macbook was just under 3 years old and started to have this problem. The four screws holding the ram holder in start to tighten up with heat and somehow it does not recognize one bank. That's why when I freeze the macbook, it gets the other bank back. By loosening the screws, it allows the circuitboard expansion with heat.

Anyways, I hope that helps.

Mid-2009 13" MBP RAM slot failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.