Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use bit.ly for audio link?

I just launched my first podcast. I'm hosting the .mp3 from an enjin.com website and they don't have any sort of click counter so I would like to create a bit.ly link to the files. Will iTunes (and RSS feeds) work fine if I use the bit.ly forwarding link for the GUID and Enclosure?

Thanks!

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 12:20 PM

No. You can use redirects for the media file (though it sometimes causes trouble so you need to be cautious about it) but the URL must have the media file extension - e.g. .mp3 - or iTunes won't recognize it as a media file and won't display the episode at all.

As to tracking downloads, Apple's help site mentions this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html#tracking

but from what you say it probably won't help you. If you submit your feed to Feedburner and have it submit its version to iTunes, it can provide tracking by referring the files through Google Feedproxy: however it's been reported that this can cause problems so again you may want to be cautious.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2014 12:20 PM in response to John_Abraham

No. You can use redirects for the media file (though it sometimes causes trouble so you need to be cautious about it) but the URL must have the media file extension - e.g. .mp3 - or iTunes won't recognize it as a media file and won't display the episode at all.

As to tracking downloads, Apple's help site mentions this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html#tracking

but from what you say it probably won't help you. If you submit your feed to Feedburner and have it submit its version to iTunes, it can provide tracking by referring the files through Google Feedproxy: however it's been reported that this can cause problems so again you may want to be cautious.

Use bit.ly for audio link?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.