Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Checking spam "To" field w/o ping-back

I have several email addresses that resolve to the same inbox. I want to check which address is getting spammed, but don't want to confirm for the spammer that the address they sent to is valid by opening the email.

Is there a way to see the address in the "To" field without opening the spam or otherwise triggering a surreptitious send-back to the spammer? For example, if I click "Forward" without explictly opening the email, it allows me to see the message, including the To field. But even though the spam wasn't explicitly opened, will any feedback loop to the spammer still be triggered? Alternatively, if I go offline prior to this action (or similar), and delete the spam prior to going back online, will that bypass any feedback loop?

Thanks.

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 4:03 PM

The sender cannot know whether you opened it or not, except if you reply to or 'bounce' the email.

5 replies

Checking spam "To" field w/o ping-back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.