Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup taking up space

Hi, i have a time capsule that my laptop backs upto, however in the 'about this mac' part of the system properties, it says that backups are taking up 63Gb of space, i tried the chat however they cut me off after 10 minutes because it was 'past buisness hours'. hope the community can help!

Regards

H

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), I have a Time Capsule with space

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 12:36 PM

Make sure your backup hard drive is at least twice as big as your original in terms of capacity. If it isn't, the archives will likely have trouble being maintained on automatic backup mode. You can manually backup using the Time Machine preference, and toggling its status. Don't backup in the middle of production work, and let the backup complete before you resume working with production. A hard drive only needs to be as big as the original if you clone with Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper. But then you don't get archives of files you delete on that drive. You may want a different approach towards archives if you can't afford a double size drive.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2014 12:36 PM in response to Luskentyre

Make sure your backup hard drive is at least twice as big as your original in terms of capacity. If it isn't, the archives will likely have trouble being maintained on automatic backup mode. You can manually backup using the Time Machine preference, and toggling its status. Don't backup in the middle of production work, and let the backup complete before you resume working with production. A hard drive only needs to be as big as the original if you clone with Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper. But then you don't get archives of files you delete on that drive. You may want a different approach towards archives if you can't afford a double size drive.

Apr 17, 2014 1:17 PM in response to cbs20

Hi, i accidentaly clicked this helped me instead of this solved my question. It did solve it, thanks how do i now say that it solved it, if i have no reply in the next 30 mins ill say that mine solved it but it was actually the following:

cbs20

Those are local snapshots. They will be deleted when that space is needed, but if you want to delete them manually then just go to System Preferences and turn off Time Machine, then turn it back on. This will delete the local snap shots. The following is a link which can explain local snapshots.

http://pondini.org/TM/30.html

Backup taking up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.