Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AMDS Driver Won't Install - Access is denied.

Okay so basically, my iPhone 4 will not be recognized as a device on my PC. My specs are below:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Intel i5 4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz

AMD Radeon R9 280x GPU (2GB DDR5 vRAM)

2TB WD-Black SSHD (Hybrid Mechanical/SSD)

(Anything else just ask)

I've tried re-install iTunes (11.5). I've tried restarting my phone, and my PC. The cable works, as it will charge when plugged into the wall socket. The USB ports work, as I had an Xbox 360 Controller plugged in and working perfectly in the same port. However, my USB Flash Drive will not work properly either.

The problem is the drivers, I know this. However, I've tried 3 different drivers and none of them will install. The USB drivers for my Motherboard just won't install, no error other than "One or more drivers have failed to install, cancelling install sequence." When I try to install the drivers specifically for the AMDS (stored in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Drivers) via Device Manager (I right-click the "Apple iPhone" device and click Update Driver Software, as suggested in the Apple Support Page), it fails and says "Access is denied."

The same thing happens when I try to Update Driver Software for my "USB Mass Storage Device" (it is listed as Flash Drive when my USB drive is plugged in to the USB port). It just attempts to install, and says that the attempt failed because the "Access is denied."

Any help would be fantastic. Window Firewall and Windows Defender are turned off, as is UAC. No viruses or malware are present on my system, nor are any anti-virus or firewall.

Like I said, I've tried restarting my PC as well as the phone, and again tried to install the drivers for my USB ports via my motherboard drivers, the drivers for USB Mass Storage and the AMDS (Apple Mobile Device Service) drivers, none of which will install properly.

I'm at a loss.

iPhone 4 (8GB), Windows 7

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 2:45 PM

12 replies

May 1, 2014 9:08 AM in response to SoupOrJuice

Has there been any update/fix for this?

Summary: Devices will not recognize in iTunes and driver access is denied (just like above) with the exception of an iPhone 4s 8gb running 7.1.

I called Apple and they had be uninstall and reinstall all programs a total of 6 times. On the 3rd reinstall, iTunes began malfunctioning to the tune of "iTunes was not installed properly. If you want to burn or import CDs, please reinstall" and began the issue of any time I tried to uninstall a program, what would usually take 10-20 seconds tops for large programs, started taking about 25 minutes to uninstall a single program. Grabbed my old laptop, Re-formated the hard drive, re-install windows, download iTunes and same issue, so can't be my computer. The only device that is recoginized is my iPhone 4s on my current computer and old computer. I just got a 5c and will not recognize, tried 3 other people's phones (5, 4s, and 4) and only one recognized (the 4s), but that didn't end well. iTunes updated the phone to 7.1.1 (must be auto-update when plugged in is turned on) and bricked the phone. Put the phone into recovery mode and wasn't recognized on any iTunes we checked (5 different computers). Same "access denied" for the Apple Mobile Device driver for the ones not recognized.

So far, I have wasted over 11 hours on this issue, including 3.5 hours on the phone with Apple. I have found many people with this issue and no resolution. Only thing I can think of is that 7.1.1 is faulty or iTunes 11.1.5 is faulty.

May 2, 2014 11:16 AM in response to bascuva

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6148752?answerId=25636487022#25636487022

We are more with this issue, seems iPhone 4 and 4S have this problem, heard someone tried with iPad 2 and all worked, and then the iPhone 4S, not a single reaction from the PC, cant even find the phone in "Device Manager".

PLZ Apple, dont turn ur back on this issue, stop blame us for being dumb, its the driver, not our cables and **** !!

May 2, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Pyrjo

You could try downloading and installing 7-Zip (free) and downloading a fresh copy of the iTunesSetup.exe installer, unpack the installer into its components using 7-Zip then try installing Apple Mobile Device Support again. It may still fail to install but you may get more useful error messages as to why not.

See also Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

May 2, 2014 12:38 PM in response to turingtest2

what u think of my linked problem above? the driver is properly installed, the folders are there, and it works with ipad 2, but not a single iphone 4 and 4S, havent tried iPhone 5, cuz have none. but it worked before the updates.

so annoying when apple and "wannabe" smart guys tell us to check the cables and stuff when it is such an obvious driver/software fault.

May 3, 2014 7:56 AM in response to SoupOrJuice

It was fixed! Did about 100 steps to do it, but is working now (story below). I will post again with my reference numbers so if anyone with this issue needs to, give my ref numbers to Apple Support as a how-to for them so it might take you less time.

The fixes actually came in two parts. First getting the phone to recognize in iTunes. After it did, I made the TERRIBLE choice of updating to 7.1.1 from 7.1 on my phone via iTunes. It got half way through, stopped recognizing and went into recovery mode. Apple support couldn't resolve. It was weird because the computer would recognize but iTunes would not, and I have (2) USB 3.0 ports and (1) USB 2.0 and only (1) port would recognize the phone being plugged in and it was (1) of the 3.0 ports.... I have (2) external hard drives that work on all (3) ports.

End resolution was to find a computer that has never had iTunes, download it (still didn't download properly, gives error every time it's opened) and bring out of recovery mode by doing an update and restore. The iOS was a 33 minute download and failed out (3) times before working on the 4th.

May 4, 2014 5:14 PM in response to Pyrjo

This is a user to user support forum. I post where I think I can help, when I have the time.

Not having had the issue you describe I don't have personal experience to rely on, but if you remove the drivers, then tear out all Apple software, then reinstall it should resolve the problem. As far as I can tell the three links I posted earlier all describe the process of reinstalling the device drivers in a different way, People have had success trying a new approach when they've previously failed with a different one.

While it is obvious that iTunes 11.1.4.failed to update properly for some users the vast majority updated without issue. This suggests the problem is not with the driver per se, but, in your case, their registration on your machine. Even if you have already done so I would suggest you work through the tear down process again, but start by uninstalling the device drivers from the device manager, then follow the process in the second box of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

May 9, 2014 4:42 PM in response to bascuva

Bascuva. Your fix solved the driver access denied issue?

What was the reference ##??

I am soooo mad about this stupid issue.

Could you give more details about fixing it?

How do you know if your phone is in recovery mode?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

I cannot find anything remotely like a solution to this stupid access denied issue.

Yours is the only glimmer of hope.

HELP!

Jun 22, 2014 10:42 AM in response to SoupOrJuice

if you haven't resolved that issue , i had the same problem and after 2 days working on it i found a solution , windows security wasn't letting me chage permisions or install any new software here's what i did :

1- control panel

2- system and security

3- under windows firewall click on allow a program over windows firewall

4- what i did was click on every single box there is on private not public

5- click accept , after i went to device manager right click iphone update driver , you shouldn't have the access denied anymore

AMDS Driver Won't Install - Access is denied.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.