Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

alternative to app store?

I understand Apple wants us to upgrade to the latest and (not necessarily greatest) OS. I don't agree with how they try to force it by saying that apps in the app store require a certain OS, when a little investigation on the actual vendor's site shows that the app does NOT require the most recent OS. I was planning on switching the remaining PCs in my house except one to Macs. In all fairness, for gaming platforms, windows is a better deal, hence the one Windows system. I'm having second thoughts now when I'm finding that it's going to be almost impossible to get the apps I want to run on my non-PC systems unless I arbitrarily upgrade a system that's working fine. Does anyone know a reliable alternative to the app store? Oh, and before the fanboys start trolling, I don't want the latest OS. I've seen many bug reports, and personally know people who regret their decision to upgrade. I'm actually reconsidering my decision to go to all Macs and considering Linux instead, since I'm not held hostage by a single-source vendor for apps. Don't get me wrong, I love apple/macs, but I'm tired of the arbitrary decisions I've been seeing for the last 5 years or so.

Mac mini (Mid 2010)

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 4:31 PM

1 reply

Apr 17, 2014 4:42 PM in response to unxrules

I don't agree with how they try to force it by saying that apps in the app store require a certain OS, when a little investigation on the actual vendor's site shows that the app does NOT require the most recent OS.

Apple isn't who decides whether a 3rd party app in the Mac App Store will or won't run on a certain version of OS X, the developer does. The version of the app in the MAS isn't necessarily the same as what's available on the developer's site, even when they have the same version number.

In my experience, if the developer has told Apple that the copy should read that a certain version of OS X is required to run the app, the app doesn't run on anything less.

alternative to app store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.