Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" i5 Late 2009 graphics problem

Hi,

I've got a problem with my 4 years old iMac, seems the graphics card has gone bad?

If I browse on graphics heavy website, the browser would just crash and eventually finder would crash.

Then the OS would not respond to any of my command (cursor and caps lock still responding), and I had to hold the powerbutton for 4 second to get it to shutdown.

When I start the machine again, it will just be stuck on the Apple logo. I have to wait until the machine cooled down, when then it would bootup to OS X, however the problem then would repeat.

I have tried removing the rams, and also resetting NVRAM -- does not help.

See picture below, this just happends that the machine hangs when I switch between desktop and widget mode. Notice the vertical line on the right side.

User uploaded file

Does the GPU needs replacing?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 11:48 PM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2014 3:14 AM in response to mesin

The problem usually occured on 2009~2010 iMac

Issu of the screen seem the graphic card failure ,but you still can try to clean parts inside your iMac

I had the same issue before and i get the replacement of the graphic card

It's working .

2009~2010's iMac always exist the problem with the machine is getting too hot and often causing the graphic card and the hard drive failure .

Recommandation: Bring your iMac to the local Apple Sevice Center having the test

Apr 25, 2014 9:42 AM in response to mesin

Well they called me few hours later, and told me that they concluded the logicboard failed as well as the machine stuck at the Apple logo (after spinning gear), the only thing that they tried is to boot the machine off of an External HD. They do not have the parts to test it further.

This is very dissapointing to hear, although they are an Authorised Apple Service Provider, they can only follow the service manual and to troubleshoot further, the customer had to pay for the parts first to confirm on what is working and what is not.

iMac 27" i5 Late 2009 graphics problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.