Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestions for replacement podcast app?

Apple's Podcast app is well known to be a useless disaster if you like to listen to podcasts among different devices. I have been learning this the hard way with multiple Apple senior tech support advisors giving abundant, contradictory, and ultimately (to date) useless advice.

So I'd like to replace it with a 3rd party solution, that comes as close as possible to this ideal:

Lets me listen to my subscribed podcasts on my phone, computer, or pad and when synced, lets me start listening on another device to where I left off previously

Lets me play them in an order random by podcast, but in published order within a podcast (e.g., I never hear episode 3 before episode 1, but may hear

A1 B1 C1 A2 F1 A3 (A podcast episodes in 1-2-3 order) and never A3 B1 A1 C1 A2 (A podcast in 3-1-2 disorder)

Lets me play them uninterrupted (no button clicks required) for up to 6 or 8 hours at a time, offline/in airplane mode, no suddenly discovering that despite 20 syncs, the iOS device does not have podcasts B1 downloaded and so playback stops dead, over and over and over, and I have to pull over/stop working/make hands safe to manipulate stupid device to continue playback from next podcast on list.

Lets me easily--one or two taps on large buttons of a locked screen--fast forward if I do not want to listen to a particular episosde and want to move on

And deletes all episodes after they've been played, or marked played, or fast-forwarded through (ok if it only does this after some sync step).

The app must not insist on maintaining ghost episodes that screw up my general iOS/iTunes syncing and turn my devices into bricks; or keep redownloading things I've listened to or marked played on another device (assuming they were all given a chance to sync since the episodes were played).

Does such a Podcast management paragon exist? If not, what is the closest approximation that people are using?

The one feature I absolutely must have is uninterrupted playback of a series of podcasts while utterly offline.

(Apologies for duplicate posting in iPhone and iPad, but there is no 'podcasts' forum.)

iPad, iOS 7.1, iPad3

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 8:22 AM

7 replies

Apr 20, 2014 1:58 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

This is helpful, thank you. None of them look to permit offline/iTunes sync, which is always my ideal, but they do offer other possibilities. It is very frustrating trying to figure out if they will do the things I want from the minimal listings in the iTunes store, and things I'd not realized could be problems--inability to use the computer keyboard media keys to control playback from the computer, astonishingly poor design--will clearly have to be sorted out before I can pick one. They are not particularly cheap, and none offer free trial options to see how they work together (iOS + Mac apps), but I'll end up trying one, as I am still unable to get any useful function out of the bleeping Podcast app.

Apr 22, 2014 11:25 AM in response to Donot Haveone

What I've discovered is that if you pay for software from a small developer, you can often get them to listen to your suggestions and requests. Especially if the software is being developed by one person. Email them. Tell them how much you love their software. Then tell them how much more you'd love it if they added the features you really want. Offer to beta test if you can. Then, tell all your friends how great the software is.

Best of luck.

May 28, 2014 12:07 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Downcast on the phone is working great, the only problem being that it's on the phone alone (reviews suggest their sync to Mac app is as bad as Apple's Podcasts app), and requires juggling connections more often than I'd like to go back and forth between podcasts and music.

There are still a few things that it doesn't do even as an iOS only app, and it does suck down battery life

with the slow sync updates. I know I read something about Pocket Cast at first that made Downcast sound more attractive, but I can't figure out now what it was. I'll try that one shortly, but the good news is, whether I stick with Downcast or prefer Pocket Cast, either one is light years ahead of Apple's pathetic podcasts and its abominable sync messes.

True sync would be good, but for me, untethered performance (no internet connection) is the key to being able to enjoy podcasts at all.

Suggestions for replacement podcast app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.