Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone wont let me turn on my iMessage, it keeps saying that I'm not connected to cellular data or wifi and my 3G is on, somebody please help.

My iPhone wont let me turn on my iMessage, it keeps saying that I'm not connected to cellular data or wifi and my 3G is on, somebody please help.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2017 2:48 AM

I might have figured it out... when you go to setting and click on cellular data scroll down to the settings icon if it is turned off try turning it on then turning your iMessage on. It just worked for me.

10 replies

Jan 10, 2017 9:36 PM in response to Jahmindawg

I believe it's a bug. I've checked with several iPhone users, they have the luxury of turning it on / off without needed wifi or even getting that msg.

I've tried everything, but unless I have wifi it doesn't work.

I hope apple address this sooner or later. User uploaded file

As you can see in the screen shot, 3G / data is already on. For some reason, the phone doesn't detect / find the data to be on. I've had this issue for ages.

Feb 6, 2017 5:09 AM in response to Auntiebonna

you do not have to erase all content. all you have to do is turn on WiFi and it should activate iMessage. if you do not want to use your phone number, like me, then you do that.

if you want to send / receive using your phone number; then take the sim card out and put back in. you will then get a message that the carrier will charge ...etc. accept & you will get iMessage activated to phone number & could later add your email.

i hope this helps, if you need anymore help, please feel free to contact me.

my email: ********me.com
<Email Edited by Host>

Apr 18, 2014 9:31 AM in response to Jahmindawg

Hello,

Have you tried connecting to a Wifi network and test if it works?

If you can't connect to one or if it doesn't work either :

1. Toggle airplane mode: Tap Settings, turn airplane mode on, wait three seconds, and then turn off again.
  2. Restart your iPhone.
  3. Make sure that your software is up to date:
  4. Remove the SIM Card and reinsert it. Allow the iPhone to acquire the network again.
  5. If your SIM card has SIM PIN enabled, try turning it off: Tap Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.
  6. Try another location. If a different location works, but the original location still doesn't, contact your carrier to report the issue.
  7. Reset network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  8. Restore the iPhone as new.
  9. Contact your carrier to:
    • Verify that the iPhone is properly set up on the account with the appropriate, current data plan.
    • Verify that there are no account-related blocks.
    • Find out if there are specific error messages in the carrier logs that could help determine why the issue is occurring.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.