Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Contacts Not Syncing

New contacts added on my iOS 7.1 device, an iPhone 5S, do not sync into iCloud. I validate whether the contact is synced if it shows up in my contact list on icloud.com/contacts.

What's strange is that adding new contacts on my mac does get the contact into iCloud. And my phone will download new contacts from iCloud. There is a problem with uploading new contacts. What could be wrong?

I tried the trouble shootings steps here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3998 ... such as turn the device on and off. Turning on and off contacts in iCloud System Settings. No luck.

Steps:

* Add a new contact on iOS 7 Device

* Check for sync into iCloud/contacts

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 9:50 AM

8 replies

Apr 18, 2014 9:57 AM in response to ohioguy1978

Open the contacts app on your phone and tap Groups. Do you have any non-iCloud accounts listed, such as On My iPhone, Gmail, Yahoo or an exchange account?

Also go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars>Default Account (in the Contacts section). Do you have the Default Account setting there, and if so, what is selected as your default account?

Apr 18, 2014 10:07 AM in response to ohioguy1978

Based on your settings, your issue is that you are adding new contacts on your phone to Gmail rather than iCloud, and thus they are not syncing with iCloud and will not appear on your Mac. To fix this, go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars>Default Account (in the Contacts section) and change your default to iCloud. Then add a test contact on your phone and see if it syncs now.

You can set the default account for calendar events to Gmail separately by going to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars>Default Account (in the Calendars section) and setting this to Gmail.

(If you have lots of conacts in your Gmail account and want to consolidate them all in iCloud I can tell you how to do this.)

Apr 18, 2014 10:11 AM in response to randers4

Oh this *****. I want iCloud to be my default account for contacts and Gmail to be my default account for calendar. But I only get to pick one default account for all of them.

Well, at least this explains why contacts added from my phone don't make it onto my computer, but contacts on my computer make it onto my phone.

I will have to consider how it will impact my overall productivity switching the default account over to iCloud and make a decision. Thanks for the explenation on how the settings are affecting my contact syncing.

Apr 18, 2014 10:30 AM in response to ohioguy1978

You don't have to chose one default account for both contacts and calendars. If you are syncing both contacts and calendars with Gmail, you can set iCloud default account for contacts in the Default Account setting in the Contacts section. You can then choose your Gmail calendar as your default calendar in the Default Calendar setting in the Calendars section.

New Contacts Not Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.