Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Server

I've read that its bad if network users login to their accounts on the actual server. However, what i'm interested in doing is setting up OSX server as replica OD, Caching, and software update server. User accounts would be on the master OD server. My replica server would,however, be a computer that is regularly used. Would you expect this to cause trouble?

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 12:46 PM

7 replies

Apr 18, 2014 2:16 PM in response to ajm_from_WA

ajm_from_WA wrote:

its bad if network users login to their accounts on the actual server.

Not true...that's the whole point of a server.

My replica server would,however, be a computer that is regularly used. Would you expect this to cause trouble?

It will depend on what your definition of "regularly used" is! Ideally, it's best to have a dedicated machine running Server. In my case, I have a Mac Mini Server for server purposes 24/7; however, I used it to stream iTune radio content 24/7 as well as occasionally run Windows 7 Ultimate/Microsoft Project.

Apr 18, 2014 8:25 PM in response to Ralston Champagnie

the computer would be used everyday. However, the main server is a dedicated mac mini. it runs OD, file sharing, Profile manager, messages. It also does caching and software update, but i'm running short on space on it as I add network users, so i thought I could take one of my other mini's that's currently a client, make it an OD replica and put caching and software update on it.

Apr 19, 2014 3:27 AM in response to ajm_from_WA

Hi Ajm,

Make that client macmini a dedicated replica and do not keep using it as a client.

Either extend the capacity of the original server with external storage or internally, or setup the client as a replica but make that client computer a server as well.

Do not keep it in use as a client, that will certainly cause trouble a long the way in terms of availability, slow performance and bad connections.

Good luck!

Jeffrey

StarPine Support

Apr 20, 2014 1:06 PM in response to ajm_from_WA

Apple recommends network users do not log directly into the server directly; that network users not log into the GUI on the server.

This is very different from using the services from the server of course, and it's probably not the best practice to have users logged into and rummaging around on the server in any case. Workstations and servers have very different use models and different expectations of uptimes, reboots, crashes and reconfigurations, after all. Servers are usually intended to be stable and available, as server outages effect multiple folks.

Using a Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.