Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 4 Massive Help Needed

My computer is a Windows Vista and I have the iPhone 4. And before anyone says "Restart your computer, reinstall all Apple products like iTunes blah blah" yes I have already done these at least 5 times. I am looking for an actual solution.

Ok so I today I opened up my iTunes to get iOS 7 for my iPhone 4. Everything was normal, I was prompted to download iOS 7, and the download began. Once the download finished; however, my phone went into recovery mode and it is no longer recognized by iTunes.

Every time I plug-in my iPhone, I get a pop-up saying "Found New Hardware" saying "Windows needs to install driver software for your Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode)" with 3 options of Locating and Installing, Ask me again later, and Don't show this message again. When I try to Locate and Install, it never works because I don't have a disk. The other 2 options don't do anything.

I go to Device Manage (prompted by the support pages). I see 2 "Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode)" listed under "Other Devices" just like a picture has it on the support page... BUT when I click the buttom that says "If you see two "Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode)" entries with exclamation marks on them:" then it says that they should be found under "USB Composite Device" which I cannot find anywhere in the Device Manager because they are under "Other Devices".

So basically, I can't get my iPhone recognized by iTunes, and then when I go to the support pages, my problem can't be fixed because it's not in there. Has anyone ever had this problem before? If so I need to know ASAP.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1, Windows Vista

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 12:26 PM

1 reply

Apr 20, 2014 9:14 AM in response to KTFlaSh96

Hey there KTFlaSh96,

It sounds like you are no longer able to see your iPhone in iTunes, and you are unable to find the Apple Mobile Device software is not installing correctly. I would recommend the following information from the article:

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

iOS devices require Apple Mobile Device Support, which should be automatically installed with iTunes. To verify whether it is installed, follow the steps appropriate for your Windows operating system below.

Windows Vista and Windows 7: Click Start and choose Control Panel. Click "Uninstall a program" (or if using Windows Vista's Classic View of the Control Panel, click "Programs and Features"). Verify that Apple Mobile Device Support is visible in the list of currently installed programs.

If Apple Mobile Device Support is not listed, remove iTunes, QuickTime, Apple Software Update, Apple Application Support, and then reinstall iTunes. Follow the steps appropriate for your Windows operating system below:

Reinstall iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

If you you come to re installing iTunes again, uninstall the apps in the order outlined in the reinstall article specifically and then re install.

If it persists, try the troubleshooting in this article about issues installing iTunes on your computer:

Issues installing iTunes or QuickTime for Windows

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

IPhone 4 Massive Help Needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.