Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 3 beeps

So this is what happened

First of all for a week or so my sound would goes off for a couple of seconds with or without earphones on but I didn't put really put mind to that

But yesterday when I open my screen it froze so restarted and that like there was some distorted colors on the sign in screen so I restarted again and there was a message in grey and white letters saying there was a problem and to press any button and it didn't let me login to my account cause of the typing idk so I went on guest account and the typing on keyboard was different. Like foreign letters. Chargers works by the way. anyways after that I turned it off and doesn't let me turn on cause it does like 3 beeping noises everytime. I called apple and apparently it's the ram. I wanna know if it actually is that and if yes, would the other stuff that was going on has to do with the ram problem or is it a separate issue? And a quick question as well, replacing the ram does not have to do anything will the hard drive and won't delete everything I have on it? Just looking for different opinions, points of view and an honest advise or recommendation. Thank u.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 2:46 PM

13 replies

Apr 18, 2014 3:32 PM in response to seramun92

The RAM has different and easy to access slots; they are not part of the hard drive (RAM is memory, hard drive is storage space). In fact, unless you have Applecare and they will replace the RAM for free, you can easily do it yourself - I upgraded mine in my 2012 MBP myself. That is unless yours is the retina model, then you can't do it.

Here are the instructions:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody_mid12/

That is also where I purchased the RAM. Recommended vendor here and offers lifetime warranty.

Apr 18, 2014 3:46 PM in response to seramun92

Hard to tell until the RAM is replaced. Look at the install videos and then look at their prices for RAM. Then if you're close enough to an Apple store, stop there and ask how much they want to replace the RAM. After that, you can make a decision.

You can also take it to the store first for a free diagnosis - but it really does sound like it is the RAM.

Apr 18, 2014 4:43 PM in response to seramun92

I would not buy RAM from a retailer unless they offered a lifetime guarantee - a lot of the RAM is made for PCs and may or may not work on a Mac even though the specs are the same. Macs are very particular about their RAM, that's way folks here usually recommend either OWC (macsales.com) or Crucial as they sell Mac RAM and guarantee it. And, don't buy any "Value" RAM - won't work in most cases.

Apr 18, 2014 5:47 PM in response to seramun92

Best Buy gets the box containing the Mac from Apple - they don't do anything to it, just sell it.

However, with the RAM, I have no idea which mfr's RAM they have and sell - it won't be "Apple" RAM as Apple does not manufacture RAM - and whether or not it would work with your machine.

Just did a search on their website for RAM; not too impressed.

MacBook Pro 3 beeps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.