Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempted to download iTunes to my Asus laptop, Windows 8. Apple website indicated download was successful, but iTunes app is not on my computer. No error messages. Turning off McAfee did not help.

Attempted to download iTunes to my Asus laptop, Windows 8. Apple website indicated download was successful, but iTunes app is not on my computer. No error messages. Turning off McAfee did not help.

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 3:35 PM

11 replies

Jul 6, 2017 3:29 PM in response to heaven1107

If you have difficulty downloading the current iTunes installer file try; unticking the "Keep me up to date..." box, clearing your browser's cache, changing pop-up blocker settings, right-clicking or ctrl-clicking the download button, using an alternate browser, using the direct links from here, or download the installer on another computer and transfer to yours with a USB drive.

Once you've downloaded the setup file right-click on it and use the Run as administrator option.

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates if you have any further trouble with the installation.

tt2

Jul 15, 2017 3:45 AM in response to amelia.d

amelia.d wrote:

I have way too much music on my computer for my phone.

No problem - to manage this situation you definitely need to use and sync by playlists, smart ones.

To manage an iPod or iPhone that doesn't have enough room for all the music in your iTunes Library, create Smart Playlists that automatically remove and add music for you, based on criteria that you set. We can show you how.

For example, if you Sync by Playlist etc. you can then create one or more Smart Playlists that remove a song once it has been played, which causes it to be removed from your phone when you Sync and replaced with something else. The removed song can then be automatically added back at a later date when there is room.

• It's easily possible to have your most favourite music on your phone all the time, but to top that up with a mixture of other less favoured songs.
  • If you wanted to keep a played song on the phone for - let's say two weeks after it was last played - that's easy too.
  • Once on your phone, you can play songs just the same way as you do now - by artist, album genre and even just at random in the Playlist itself. Your choice.

I currently use an 8GB nano in the car, but my iTunes Library has well in excess of 100GB in it, so I obviously cannot put all my music onto the nano. So I use a Smart Playlist that looks at several other Playlists (both smart and regular) and I limit its size so that I have a never-ending change of my choice of music in it and then Sync just that one Playlist to my nano.

So what are you waiting for? You can easily create a Smart Playlist in your iTunes Library as a test and then once you have it doing what you want, copy it onto your phone instead of your current arrangement.

If you would like help in creating a Smart Playlist, please ask.

By the way, I'm not a big lover of "playlists" as such. In fact, I hate radio stations that use "playlists". I also have no time for software that forces people to create a one-song playlist just so you can listen to that one song. Unfortunately, such software has been written and it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Actually - it's less use than a chocolate teapot, at least one can eat the chocolate.

Jul 8, 2017 1:56 AM in response to amelia.d

If your iTunes is set up to Sync music with your iPhone, then you cannot manually move music on or off the phone.

Most experienced iTunes users would (I'm sure) recommend that you use Sync to manage the phone (in preference to Manually Manage). Using Sync, the best way to use it is to make the changes in iTunes Library and then connect the phone. A Sync will then copy all the changes you have made onto the phone and at the same time, transfer back to iTunes the statistics such as Play Count for each song and any changes to the star rating of a song.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.