Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have I broken my GPU? My display? Both? Neither? Or something worse?

Greetings fellow Apple enthusiasts!

This morning, I dropped my mid-2012 15 inch macbook pro on its side. Yea... When I picked it up, the screen was covered in multi-colored blocks and lines. I turned it off, turned it back on, and the screen wasn't displaying anything. The back light was on, but there was no image. I plugged the computer into my television, and that caused the screen to display this. I turned it off again, opened it up, and poked around the cables to make sure the connections were all right. Turned it all back on, and received this(bonus cat).

A little more testing has revealed this. Black images have green artifacts all over the place. Red has yellow artifacts. Blue have lighter blue artifacts. Yellow and green images are fine, as are white images. However, the artifacts don't show up on every black, red or blue image, and not all the time on the same image.

Importantly, when I connect my MBP to my HD TV over lightning cable and mirror my comptuer, the TV doesn't show any of the weird artifacts, while the MBP screen continues to do so. If my GPU is outputting an artifact free image to my TV, but the MBP display is showing the artifacts, this leads me to believe that the problem is with my MBP display, not the GPU.

Any thoughts on the culprit? Is my GPU busted and outputting artifacts? Or is my MBP display busted and displaying artifacts? Or could it be both. I am hoping it is the MBP display, as I believe I am skilled enough to replace that, not to mention the cost difference between replacing a MBP display versus a logicboard (about $200 versus $1000).

Thanks everyone!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 5:05 PM

1 reply

Have I broken my GPU? My display? Both? Neither? Or something worse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.