Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I get the folder with question mark since I replaced my damaged HDD, on my late 2009 Macbook Pro. Need help please.

Ok, I will try to write all steps I followed to get here, also English is no my first language so I apologize in advance if I make a mistake. Last week I was watching videos on Youtube, suddenly it froze, it has had never happened before in the past 4 years. I had to do force restart by pressing the start button. Hours later it completely shut off and had the gray screen with the engine doing circles. I tried accessing the disc Utiliy, repairing it but it was too late. I did not have chance to back up anything, which make me sad and upset. I research and called Apple, they told me it was the HDD causing the problem. that I needed a new one. So I went and bough a new one, Toshiba, made sure it was compatible before buying it of course. Today I finally got it, and managed to replace it to find my mac does not recognize it. I get the blinking folder with a question mark, I cant even access disk utility now. I do have the OS X system installation discs, but they wont work when I try to use them. Please someone help me, I've had spend hours researching for a solution but had no luck. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), iOS 7.1, Damaged Internal Drive

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 4:51 PM

5 replies

Apr 18, 2014 4:58 PM in response to Conanto1991

You will need to use the original installation disks. Insert the OSX disk, start the MBP holding the C key. Start the installation process and when you get to where the menu bar appears at the top of the display, select UTILITIES. From the drop down menu select DISK UTILITY. Select Disk Utility>Erase and format the HDD yo Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then continue the installation of the OSX.

Ciao.

Apr 20, 2014 2:32 AM in response to Conanto1991

Based on everything you have described, either the new HDD is faulty 'out of the box' or the connection to the HDD is bad.

To test, you can take out the HDD and install it in an enclosure. Connect it to the MBP via USB and use the original installation disk to see if it can recognize the external HDD. If not, then the HDD is faulty. If it is recognized then probably the internal SATA cable is the problem.

If you have an Apple store genius bar near you, they can determine this accurately for you for FREE.

Ciao.

I get the folder with question mark since I replaced my damaged HDD, on my late 2009 Macbook Pro. Need help please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.