Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 16GB/white won't turn on or charge?, unless I change battery to a battery that has some charge

Hi, I would like to expose my iphone 5 situation. My iphone5 ran out of battery, cause I forgot my lighting cable and charger at home, so when I got home I pluged in the iphone to get charge, went back in half hour to check the status and it was still not charging and it would still not turn on, and not even showing any signs of wanting to charge. So after an hour waiting for it to get some charge I dicided to take matter into my own hands, did everything possible to try and turn it on to no avail; Hard reset, recovery mode, dfu mode, I mean everything, being that I fix iphones myself I dicided to change the battery with my wifes iphone, being that it had 50% of battery, so guess what, changed the batteries, and mi iphone turned on, and my wifes with my battery in it, it showed that it was dead, and it did turn on and started charging my battery, so then what is going on here. My iphone won't charge my battery but it will turn on with another battery that has some charge in it, and my battery will not even star charging in my iphone when its completely drained out, but in another iphone it will charge even if its completely drianed out(my battery). So this means my iphone has a prolem in charging my battery when its completely drains out, or my iphone is more like screwed now and that is it. Can anybody help me here, or may this is happening to somebody else. Short story: My iphone won't charge my battery nor wil it turn it on. But if I replace the battery with one that has some charge in it, my iphone will turn on and it will recharge the battery to 100%. if I let the battery die it will happened again, me having to just replace the battery with another that has some charge in it. Now if I never let the battery die and charge before it get to 1% or just don't let it die it will charge the battery back up from 1% to a 100% fine, and even the ihone works perfectly. Please Help. Thank You very Nuch hope you understand my situation and get some help from anybody. By the way I notice the problem when it was on ios 7.0 no jailbreak, updated to 7.03,7.04 and 7.06 to see if it will fix the problem and nothing, haven't updated to 7.1 cause I don't feel to confident with apple anymore, and practically it may not do anything.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6, iphone 5 16gb/white

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 5:50 PM

18 replies

Apr 18, 2014 6:12 PM in response to leroydouglas

well, I am on a business trip at this moment in central america, and will stay here for the next 3 month, opening a division of my company, a clothin store chain. I was just wondering if anyboy had any ideas. I mean the phone has never been fix nor the lcd changed, still all original has more than a year and 6 month., I bought it at a celullar company(cable & wireless) with a monthly plan in Panama unlocked, brand new in a seald box, but it just ran out of the coverage, I 'm supposed to renew my contract and they are suppose to give me a new iphone 5s. Now if you really think about it, a $700.00 phone in a Year and six month give you problem , to me is not a good brand, I mean If I wanted to sell it to get some of my money back, I cannot do that, so I feel like I've been ripped off in some way, and do I go back with the same phone or brand, I don't think so. wel just wondering if anyboy had the same problem and could help me out or found a solution to get it fox.

Apr 18, 2014 7:28 PM in response to Mike Waska

Sounds to me as if you had a battery problem, and could have had that taken care of by Apple or an authorized service provider. However, once you opened the device yourself and replaced the battery, you voided any warranty/post-warranty support from Apple. All you can do now is take it to some shop to see if they replace batteries and see what happens. One year and a half on a battery, depending on usage habits is not that unusual.

Apr 19, 2014 7:00 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for posting to help Chrisj4203, like I mentioned before I did put an almost new battery(my wife's iphone) and put mine in hers. her battery in my iphone, I let it die completely and it did not charge in my iphone. my battery in her iphone I let it die completely and waited till next day to start charging and it did turn on and charge fine, and it showed signs that the battery was dead and charged it to a 100%. so I don't think is the battery. What I really think is that my iphone just went CAPUT, no good, so I guess I'm changing brands. maybe Nokia.

Apr 19, 2014 9:30 AM in response to Mike Waska

To start with you should not routinely let the battery go flat. Batteries die, as I said before, especially with prolonged use and abuse. It's a shame that you wouldn't take the time to get a battery serviced and use that as a reason to change brands. Sounds like you wanted to change brands and were looking for an excuse. Let me ask you this, would you buy a new car if your battery failed in your current car, or if something went wrong with the charging system?

Apr 19, 2014 12:37 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Let's start again, like I said at the begining, I am an "Electronics engineering" graduate and 45 years Old. JUst working for the family Business. And by the way I'am a DIY person. My iphone 5, the battery I tested and is good, there is not science in replacing an iphone battery.

My wife's iphone 5 is only 6 month old, so I used her battery in my iphone 5, with 20% charge just to see, so what I did was, put the battery in and it did turn on the phone. Shut it down, turned it back on and fine, so I dicided to do a test, let it drain out completely to see if My iPhone will start or at least show signs of wanting to charge, so that's where the problem is. Let my wife's battery drain completely in my iphone and gues what? it did not turn on or show signs of the battery being completely drain or even show sings of wanting to charge, nothing at all.

Now My battery from my iphone 5, which was completely dead I put in my wife iphone 5 and it does show the sing of the battery being dead, and it start to charge it. so now my battery is being charge in my wife's iphone. my wife's battery is in my iphone(6 month old battery) and is not charging at all. Now my wife's iphone 5 turn on with my battery in it and is working fine. My iphone had never been dropped, this is the cover I use sisnce I bought it with an acrylic screen protector(http://www.amazon.com/iSound-DuraView-Case-iPhone-yellow/dp/B00BRSDVQ4/ref=sr_1_ 32?ie=UTF8&qid=1397935029&sr=8-32&keywords=isound+iphone+caseand )never abused in any way, never been repair or any parts replaced, the battery it's in good condition, never let it drain out completely, it was just this one and first time. As a matter of fact that's when I realizaed about this problems, now the iphone is 1 year and about 5 month old. ever since this happened I bought me a portable battery pack, to always keep it charge. My point is what its going on with my iphone, I cannot defenetly sell this iphone like this, I went to where I bought it, and it past it's warranty. So tell me is it fair to spend $700 for a phone that will only last just about a Year and half. I mean I have a flip flop phone that is almost 9 years with the original battery and still working, and I only paid $150 for it. Put yourself in my shoes. So is not like your are puting it, I'm not giving up on the phone just becasuse there seems to be a battery problem, which is not, the phone won't charge the battery. Like you said, sell a car becasuse i needs a battery, but if the car has an elctronic and wiring problem, I will sure get rid off the car and don't buy that brand again. All I'm asking is if anybody has had the same problem and were able to find a solution. Thank You and Sorry for the long explanation, and do appreciate you taking the time to try helping me. Thanks again.

Apr 19, 2014 1:25 PM in response to wjosten

Ok, you sound more like somebody that know what it's talking about. I had an idea of being that, but It's not like I'm repairing iphones for a living, so I wouldn't have had that experience, but you said, you have seen that happened before. Question, what if I take my wife's iphone 5 charging dock and replace it with mine and see what happens, at least it will be an original part from iphone, and if does fix the problem, then we are good. I am down on it, let you know later. Thanks for the Big Help.

Apr 20, 2014 8:08 AM in response to Mike Waska

Mike Waska wrote:

Let's start again, like I said at the begining, I am an "Electronics engineering" graduate and 45 years Old.

Actually, this is the first time that you mentioned this at all. I will not bore you with anything else. What you decide to do with the phones is your business. I do find it interesting though, that complaining about the device and the manufacturer, including the fact that an expensive device should not exhibit failures, that you never took the time to address the issue with them. Good day.

iPhone 5 16GB/white won't turn on or charge?, unless I change battery to a battery that has some charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.