Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I open the advanced highlight/shadow option in Aperture (which includes high/low tonal range etc.)? It opens on some of my files and not on others.

In aperture, under adjustments, how do I open the advanced highlight/shadow option which allows one to adjust the high/low tonal range, etc? Some of my files have this option available and others don't.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 8:05 PM

It's likely the ones that have it are processed with an older RAW camera version than newer ones. Do you mostly see it on older photos?

I think Aperture 3.3 came with an updated RAW converter (in Mountain Lion?) that doesn't do the tonal range stuff anymore, but can generally get better results with the default conversion.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2014 8:05 PM in response to taylor1000

It's likely the ones that have it are processed with an older RAW camera version than newer ones. Do you mostly see it on older photos?

I think Aperture 3.3 came with an updated RAW converter (in Mountain Lion?) that doesn't do the tonal range stuff anymore, but can generally get better results with the default conversion.

Apr 18, 2014 8:50 PM in response to taylor1000

Are you referring to the advanced section of the Highlight and Shadow brick?

Old brick:

User uploaded file

New brick:

User uploaded file

That was removed (for some unknown reason!) a few versions back. Any old images will keep it and give you the option to upgrade to the new brick (why you would I can;r guess).

There is a hack to get the advanced options back for new images as long as you have at least one old image with the advanced options. Select the old image and lift the adjustments using the lift and stamp tool. Now remove all the adjustments as well as any other meta data you don't want to copy over leaving only the Highlights & Shadows adjustments. Now stamp a new image, it will get the advanced options.

You can duplicate an old image and remove all adjustments and meta data from it except the Highlights and Shadows and save that somewhere you can find it easily. Then whenever you want to add that to a new image you can just lift and stamp from the duplicate.

It's a hack but at least it keeps the adjustment.

regards

Apr 18, 2014 11:19 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Then whenever you want to add that to a new image you can just lift and stamp from the duplicate.

Or instead of Lift&Stamp, save the adjustment as an effect, as described by Kirby Krieger here: How to not miss that olde-tyme Highlights & Shadows 7-slider Brick

Just select the image with the old Highlights&Shadows applied and use the "Effects" panel to save it as an effect. It will now be available in any of your Aperture libraries, even if you do not have any images with the older adjustment applied in that library.

User uploaded file

Apr 19, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

How will that work if you add the effect to an image that already has other adjustments? Will it append the Hightlights & Shadows leaving the rest alone?

I tried it a few times with different adjustments, all stayed, when I added the preset. The only irritating thing is the "upgrade" button in the "Highlights and Shadows" brick. I have not yet dared to press it.

User uploaded file

Apr 19, 2014 9:11 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Someone should write it up as a User Tip.

It would be great, if Kirby could turn the original post into a user tip. 🙂 It is already very good, but hard to track down in that old thread.

How to not miss that olde-tyme Highlights & Shadows 7-slider Brick

I still have an Aperture Library with a single image with highlight and shadow adjustments here for download:

http://dreschler-fischer.de/scripts/Templates2.aplibrary.zip

How do I open the advanced highlight/shadow option in Aperture (which includes high/low tonal range etc.)? It opens on some of my files and not on others.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.