Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Capture a Non-iSight Webcam

Hello!

I’ve got a Creative Live!Cam Connect HD 1080 webcam up and running on my Macbook Pro 6.1, but need to find a recording app for Mac that utilizes the cam’s abilities.

While the webcam is advertised for Mac, Creative software only supports Windows, and in trying both Quicktime and iMovie, (can’t select USB cam,) and Photo Booth (4:3 only, so, squeezed image and no hi-def,) I’m so far disappointed.

I’ve poured over the 2014 Best Mac Video Capture Software Reviews, but am hesitant to spend more money if I won’t be getting a hi-def, 16:9 formatted image. The audio works fine, though I haven’t tested the Crystal Voice noise-cancelling feature and don’t know if it is a Window’s only feature.

Many thanks to all for sharing their wisdom!

Chris ~

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.66GHz / 8GB RAM

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 8:53 PM

4 replies

Apr 19, 2014 10:35 PM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks Jim ~ I'd already left a query with Creative - still awaiting a reply - but wanted to hear recommended favorites from Mac users who've sampled various software.

I've now run DEBUT through it's paces and found the controls and formatting to work well; 16:9 and 1080p, but recording above SD drops frames as the resolution is increased. While it indeed records video in 1080 on my Macbook Pro, it only does so at 10fps - far below the advertised 30fps. Since I routinely upload and check 4K RED footage on this laptop and get seamless, stutter-free playback, I'm doubting system insufficiency is the issue.

So... still looking for recommended webcam recording app by real world Mac users. And, if not using the Creative HD webcams, what do folks recommend?

Thanks & Cheers!

Chris ~

Apr 20, 2014 7:43 AM in response to Chris Rasmussen1

You're most welcome!

Chris Rasmussen1 wrote: ... looking for recommended webcam recording app by real world Mac users....

I don't use any such apps because, when I want hi-def video, I use my camcorder. However, if you don't get the recommendations you seek from actual users of the software, you might want to try CamTwist for use with your third party webcam.

I don't think CamTwist actually records anything directly. Rather, I think it is a driver that can connect video sources like yours to your Mac OS so the content can be recorded by your existing Mac apps like QuickTimeX, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, etc.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.9

Capture a Non-iSight Webcam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.