Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect to wi-fi

Hello

I have a weird problem.

My iphone 4s does not connect to the office wi-fi.

Whenever I select the office network I get an error message.

Please find attached the image of the error message. IOS automatically opens some junk site -

User uploaded file

However phone works perfectly at home. Automatically switches to wi-fi.

[At office I need to manually select the network everytime & it always opens the junk site].

Any help will be appreciated.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 11:11 PM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2014 8:30 PM in response to Bond_CA

Have attached a few more sites that are opening when I try to connect to office network ( controlled network that will ask for my office login & pwd).

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If I forget the network & then power off the phone & then power on & then if I connect to the office network it works 50% of the times.

Any help would be appreciated.

Can these junk sites be some virus sites & they are trying to hack the office network or my iphone ? Security experts from Apple, please comment.

thinkdifferent.us

ibook.info

appleiphonecell.com

Apr 27, 2014 5:50 AM in response to Pauliine

Pauliine wrote:

Few minutes ago, I faced the same issue on Mac and iPhone.

That also sounds like a network compromise. Assuming you're talking about a home network, not an office network where the IT guys will need to be involved, you probably have a hacked wireless router. See:

How to manage a hacked wireless router

(Fair disclosure: The Safe Mac is my site, and contains a Donate button, so I may receive compensation for providing links to The Safe Mac. Donations are not required.)

Apr 27, 2014 11:39 AM in response to Bond_CA

Just discovered that 3 junk sites that I had posted earlier direct me to www.apple.com 😮

thinkdifferent.us

ibook.info

appleiphonecell.com

I tried this from my desktop.

So this is not a case of compromise of my office network.

This is some setting in iphone.

Just did a little bit of digging & found this link

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18891706/ios7-and-captive-portals-changes-to- apple-request-url

It seems there are more such sites that redirect to apple.com.

Can anyone at apple provide more info / solution pls ?

Apr 27, 2014 2:39 PM in response to Bond_CA

Ah, yes, you're right. It appears those domains are owned by Apple. I wouldn't have thought that, but some investigation confirms it.

iPhones will attempt to load a page in the background when connecting to a wifi network, to trigger any login page that the network might require. If that article you point to is correct, in iOS 7, those domains are some of the ones used for this purpose. I don't know why that would be... seems weird to use suspicious-sounding domains for this purpose!

I'd guess that your office network is blocking access to some of these sites for some reason. This would explain why it works 50% of the time. You may want to talk to your office IT guys about this.

BTW, note that Apple does not respond to questions here... this is a user-to-user forum. If you want to talk to an Apple rep, your best bet is to make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. (You could call support, but they'll probably want to charge you for the call.)

Unable to connect to wi-fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.