Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I deauthorize a computer but keep the files???

{My MacBook Pro crashed a while ago and I have a pretty extensive music selection very little of it was brought on iTunes. My boyfriend was using it to dj and didn't want to lose all of our music so he brought a new MacBook Pro for himself and they basically mirrored what was on my laptop to his.so whenever he wants do something it ask for my Apple ID and password and it's my mail that is synced and everything. Now that I have my laptop back in working condition he wants to change everything over to his own Apple ID and have his own mail to sync and basically remove all traces of it being my laptop except for the music. We are ok to lose the music brought through iTunes we just don't want to lose the music that was not brought on iTunes. We also don't want to lose any of the documents. Is there a way to do this? If so how do I to about doing this?

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 11:04 PM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2014 11:11 PM in response to Neshae89

Hi Neshae,

The only thing that Authorizing a computer does is to enable the Apple ID that it was Authorized with to download and play purchases from iTunes. It has no effect on your library whatsoever.

So, he just needs to sign onto iTunes with his own Apple ID and Authorize the computer when he is signed on. If you have past purchases in the library that were purchased with your ID, then just leave your Authorization on the machine as well so he can continue to play them.

Cheers,

GB

Apr 19, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Neshae89

Not sure what you are asking? The library is not affected by the Authorization process. If he has a separate Apple ID, then he won't get Mail, FaceTime calls, or messages sent to your Apple ID. If you do not Authorize his new Apple ID to your computer, then he won't be able to download or play any music on your computer that was purchased via iTunes. It won't prevent him from playing music you have loaded to the iTunes library that was not purchased via iTunes....

Here is an Support Page for iTunes which includes the explanation of Authorization and how it works:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/authorization/

Cheers,

GB

Can I deauthorize a computer but keep the files???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.