Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My asterisk keeps changing to a x

I'm trying to create a percentage formula in my table. I want D9 to show 20% of D8. So I'm typing =D8*20% but the asterisk keeps changing itself into an x and giving me some crazy number. Any ideas why?

iMac, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 2:29 AM

3 replies

Apr 19, 2014 1:18 PM in response to Tappers67

T,

The two things are not related. iWork '13 changes the asterisk to a little "x" character that stands for the multiply operator, not the same code as for a lower case X, but it looks a lot like one. Also, a slash character that we normally associate with division is changed into the divide symbol, ÷. (A dash with dots above and below.)

This was all just a waste of time on the part of the programmers, in my opinion, and a source of confusion for us.

That business has nothing to do with why you are having trouble multplying the contents of D8 by 20%. What is the content of D8? What exactly is your result?

Jerry

My asterisk keeps changing to a x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.